I worded the initial survey before it got converted to a Survey Monkey survey. I agree with the criticisms made in its wording.

I have a Master's Degree in Sociology with strong emphasis on doing survey research. I remember my instructor talking about the importance of the wording of one's question. Not many people realize how poor is the question "How old are you"? A much better question is "On your latest birthday, even if that is today, how many years old did you become?" Of course many survey researchers do not care about 100% precision when the questions have to become so wordy, so many just ask "How old are you?" not caring that maybe 5 to 10 percent (can't remember the exact number) round up their age if their birthday is immediately around the corner in the future.

Well, it appears that I forgot much of those lessons, had I given it more thought I would have worded the survey to keep it more simple: "Do you propose that for Yosemite's immediate interim solution is to have Yosemite initiate a formal comment period seeking public input lasting at least three weeks? Answer Yes or No or Other only." I should not have complicated the question asking what the person thinks the group should do. I apologize. The questionnaire was made worse when the "Other" was removed (done while I was out hiking, not by me). "Other" is always an important answer to handle complexities (such as what if the person belongs to two groups, one whom he/she wishes to communicate Yes to Yosemite, while the other group "No".

I do not think the answers will vary more however, than if it was an age question and the first worded question was used rather than the second worded question.

We are going to share the survey results with Yosemite so they can appreciate the question, as it was presented, and the answers, as they were presented, just as they exist (uninterpreted by us). I am in favor of explaining the poor wording of the questionnaire and how for a small percentage the answers may be off, but I think it is safe that the percentages are correct give or take 5 percent. Personally I bet they are correct give or take 2.5 percent.

ps -- in case the above is not 100% clear, I agree that nobody should speak for a social group on behalf of the group. To provide a link to a survey done by members of the group and to let the survey and its data speak for itself, that is acceptable, just so long as zero interpretation of the data leads one to believe they're speaking for the group. I am only going to provide links to the Survey Monkey summary results, not even to the underlying data (I don't have that access anyway, only John Ladd does, who made the actual survey, I just provided the wording). I am sorry the wrong impression was made. I was in a hurry yesterday morning to lead a snowshoe hike for the Sierra Club and "haste makes waste". Bummer.

pss -- I am also providing to the park links to the posted-to six JMT social group forums so they, if they want, can register for the forums, and gain access to all the comments made (including all the criticisms and apologies made).

Roleigh Martin
Lead Moderator, John Muir Trail Yahoo Group

Last edited by Roleigh Martin; 01/11/15 04:41 PM.

My Google Plus Profile (lots of interesting research links)
https://plus.google.com/+RoleighMartin/about/