It's that time of year again...."Hiking Time". I did this last year and hopefully I will be one of the fortunate people to conquer cancer for good, so I'm hoping to do this again next year.

As a 4 year survivor of melanoma (5 in October), and from learning more than I ever wanted to know about cancer, I am urging everyone on the trail to protect themselves. There are more than a few cancer survivors on this board and the other board, and from the e-mails I got last year, a few were melanoma.

If you think you're immune to melanoma, tell it to my friends daughter, Amanda Littlejohn. She is 20 years old and melanoma has visited her 3 times in the last 3 years, two times in her brain after the initial diagnosis on her arm and forehead. She has had the melanoma removed every time, through surgery and radiation and my thoughts are always with her. You can "Google" her name. Cancer is a community.....we are all one. And, I DON'T want you in my community. So please keep yourself protected from the Sun and from the reflection off the rocks and the reflections off the snow and water.

Things to help protect yourself from the Sun

* Sunscreen at least 30+ SPF - don't forget your ears, back of the neck and inside your ears
* Large brimmed Hat. A Sahara type that protects your neck is especially good
* Long Sleeve Shirt - many come with SPF protection
* Long Pants
* Sunglasses with UV protection
* Lightweight gloves
* Sunblock, such as Zinc Oxide for your nose and ears.

Apply sunscreen before you hike and at least once during your hike. An easy way to sunscreen if you don't like the mess is to use the small suncreen spray bottles.

I may have forgotten some, so if you can post more, then please do. I remember Richard P writing in last year about how he protects himself from the Sun. Clothing! After he dresses for his hike, he looks like Lawrence of Arabia!

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier