After being unsuccessful at the lottery I just managed to score a SINGLE overnight permit for Fri Jul 24, I still can't believe it. I was just checking every 2 hours, one opened up and I booked it right there within seconds LOL!

Although I am excited it means I have to start some rigorous prep now. I am a little nervous as I will be doing this as a solo attempt.

Although I have done a few hikes in the Sierras I have NEVER camped or hiked solo so it's a little unnerving but I am hoping I can manage with some meticulous planning.

If anyone also solo is interested in joining me for this date that would be great as well smile

Main question - my permit is for entrance Fri Jul 24 and the pickup point is the East Sierra Visitor Center which is in Lone Pine. Sooo.. I am planning to depart the LA area at noon on Jul 23 and will be in Lone Pine on 23rd evening but the visitor center will be closed. If I pickup the permit on 24th morning my concern is that I will waste a lot of time and start my hike too late. I was thinking of camping out at the Whitney Portal trailhead but I guess now I will have to stay in Lone Pine to pickup my permit. What is the best way to do this?

Last edited by trident777; 04/14/15 06:31 PM.