Originally Posted By: saltydog
JohnDoe: It sounds like a great plan over all. Especially the simulation of the Himalayan style approach between Outpost and Trail Camp. But I have a question. Its hard to tell from your sequence: are you sure you understand the location of Horseshoe Meadows to the rest of the route? The "move" from Horseshoe involves a 20 or so mile drive from HM to Whitney Portal and a 3.5 mile climb to Outpost. (Outpost is at about the same elevation as HM). Similarly the "Descent to Horseshoe" from Trail Camp is a 6-mile descent to Whitney Portal and then the drive back to HM. And its a hard 6 miles: 4000 feet down.

If that's what you have in mind, my hat is off to both of you.

BTW, when you say 5 summits, I have to ask: which 5?

Yes, I'm aware that Outpost is only about 500ft higher than Horseshoe Meadows. We live 600ft ASL and have problems with exertion above 10000ft without a couple days acclimatization. Also, neither of us feels much acclimatization benefit from hanging around 8000ft or less, hence Horseshoe Meadows as opposed to Whitney Portal. We'll have our car to shuttle so no big deal there.

Here's what she's done so far. Nothing difficult with the exception of Wheeler, due to the 100% snow cover and that we didn't take the established route (to intentionally add some snow skill experience to the route). She loved knowing that the tent was sitting on 10ft deep snow, lol. Guadalupe was a pain for me because I was carrying 100% of the water for 3 days (no reliable water source) plus all the gear.

11/3/14 guadalupe peak
8751ft summit
Texas High Point
Guadalupe mountain range
3029ft Prominence

11/6/14: hunter's peak
8369ft summit
Guadalupe mountains range
Texas 6th highest point
571ft prominence

11/7/14: bush mountain
8632ft summit