Originally Posted By: John Sims
Originally Posted By: JohnDoe

Thanks for the info! Read your trip report and definitely doesn't sound like rope is worth the weight. At the 20-30ft snow field, was the snow hard enough to slide in the event of a slip or was it soft mush? Also, what kind of exposure did you have at the snow field?

The snow was sun-cupped, and soft mush. I guess it was ~ 9:00 AM, and a warm day. My concern was not about traction, but what was beneath the snow. I had considered going under/below the snow field, and when I climbed down a bit I could see lots of water running from beneath the snow, so I was concerned that I might break through the snow, and find myself in real trouble. A fall would have likely been fatal, so yes, lots of exposure. As I mentioned in my trip report when I walked down the trail from above I could see my earlier position, and believe that there was little reason for concern.

Even with the late storms this year I doubt there will be any snow on the trail, but "you never know". In my earlier post I mentioned that this is a well worn path. In spite of that you should also know that from time to time you will lose the path, and need to look around to see where to pick it back up. Not really a big deal, but just so you know.

The Cottonwood lakes basin is really spectacular, and the hike up to Old Army Pass is fun. Not a walk in the park, but fun. You and your wife will enjoy this hike.

I've added a couple of pictures from 2014 for further clarification.

Do you plan on going up to Langley?

Regards,
John

Wow, I really appreciate the elaboration! We're doing Whitney, Muir and Langley on the same trip. I'll check again in July, but from the pics it looks like maybe just an ice ax may be helpful to check out snow, cut steps if necessary, etc since it's only an extra pound.