Originally Posted By: syzygy
I summited on 6/14. I went up solo starting at about 11:30p at Whitney Portal with the goal of seeing the sunrise. The trail was great, easy to follow even in the dark, and the switchbacks were fine - more wet than anything else. I used microspikes from the switchbacks up to the summit and back down most of the way, I probably would have turned back if I had not had them.

I'd say some of the sketchiest parts were after trail crest. Lots of places where the trail is very thin and full of postholes. Easy on the way down, but when hiking up I was almost too tired to focus.

I didn't make it up in time for the sunrise, ended up being about 40 mins too late. Weather was great though, a little cold up top but only until the sun came out in full force. As for going alone, I probably wouldn't do it again. My hiking partner unfortunately couldn't make it at the last minute, and I didn't want to miss my opportunity. It is possible and I never really felt in danger, but it was one of the most mentally taxing things I've done. All in all, I'm happy with the choices I made and glad everything turned out so great!

Happy trails!

Thank you for sharing! Lovely photos!