Originally Posted By: RenoFrank
Any thoughts on this scenario?

Someone in my group gets permits for us starting at Roads End and exiting at Whitney Portal. I don't need a Trail Crest exit permit, correct?

Another in my group gets a permit entering at Kearsarge Pass. An out and back or even exiting at Horseshoe Meadows.

We start at Onion Valley and exit at Whitney Portal showing the appropriate permit depending where we are.

Hmm. Could work. But at altitude you might not be thinking as clearly as you would need for pulling off such a caper. Mr. Ranger: “Can I see your permit?” Group leader(s): “Sure! Er, well, um, wait a minute... First can you tell us exactly where we are?”

As Steve said, the Roads End route starts lower than the Onion Valley route. It's also 4 miles longer. On the plus side, the long gradual uphill of Bubbs Creek might make for better acclimatization, and your first night of camping would likely be 1000' or more lower than the other way.

Mount Whitney, The Complete Trailhead-to-Summit Hiking Guide by Paul Richins, Jr. has an overview complete with elevation profile for both routes.