I hope to return to Whitney's summit this year for the first time since my one and only climb back in 2004. I'm curious as to how an age 71 body will fare in contrast to when I was 59.

But it seems two big obstacles this year may be tougher than the climb itself. Getting a permit . . . and the question of road delays and getting parking space.

I had "won" in the lottery back in 2004. Since then I -- and others -- learned that winning the lottery wasn't crucial, with all the "no show" permits released. But now this year it will be important, what with all the talk that walk up permits may either be denied or reduced contingent on the parking situation at the portal.

All of this is a long winded prologue to a few question I have about the present lottery system. The answers are undoubtedly online, but to save lots of searching I'm sure it will be more expedient to just ask here. I'm also sure the answers will be helpful to others besides me.

First -- what is the basic methodology for the lottery (day use permits)? I'm guessing that all those who have selected a specific date are vying for the quota of permits for that date? I.e., if there are 60 permits allowed for one day, and there are 120 who have picked that date, then there will be 60 losers. Is this correct? (If not, please advise.)

If this is correct, and one can choose up to 15 dates, then isn't it almost guaranteed that you'll "win" if you are flexible about your trip timing? I.e., you may lose 2, 3, or 4 times with your first date options, but the match means -- with 15 separate dates/lottery draws -- that you'll probably get at least ONE of your choices. Am I understanding all this? Or am I all wet (hopefully with IPA's, LOL)?

If that last paragraph is correct, then I arguably have displayed poor technique by entering the lottery specifying only one date. (I always was an idealist!) If it doesn't work out I suppose I will then be in a "game" of still possibly getting what I want through the published process about the lottery as far as what happens after the initial winners are selected.

What a hassle for this year. I can see -- if I don't win my date -- that it will be a "down to the wire" monitoring game up to August (when I plan my hike) as far as deciding if I should even drive to Lone Pine, and then, if I go, if I can actually make the hike, and on and on and on . . . even if I get some firm news that I'm good for my hiking date then there's still a hassle to visit the portal before the hike for doing a preliminary back and forth hike to Lone Pine Lake, hanging around to acclimatize, etc. (Because of the parking situation).

Enough for this post -- Steve or/and others, I (and others) will appreciate clarification as indicated above regarding the process. Thanks!