Another thing I need to work on (decided to post here):

Paul wrote:
> Has anyone commented on the picture being blurry or should I just go and get glasses at my old age?

My response:

Well, you can always get those glasses. smile

But I myself have been really annoyed with the blurry pictures. When we first got the camera set up, the pics were clear as could be. But somewhere along the line, they went south.

It is either one of two things: sun burn of the cmos chip in the camera -- it sits there 24 hours a day focused on the peak and zoomed in, and twice a year -- about now and in the spring time too, the setting sun passes through the camera's view. So there we have the camera aimed and zoomed at the sun. I cannot imagine any electronic chip able to withstand the heat that has got to generate!

Check out yesterday's picture:
http://cams.outel.org/cgi-bin/disppict.cgi?cam=whitney&day=20090922&pict=00071.jpg

Here's Joel Baldwin's archive:
http://cams.outel.org/cgi-bin/dir.cgi?cam=whitney

However... the guy who wrote the camera-driving software tells me he has a camera pointing into the sun as well without any trouble. He thinks it is, instead, the focus setting on the computer. There is a slider bar on the screen of the computer that Doug needs to play with to find the right focus. Apparently all the way to one end is NOT infinity as one would think. But Doug is not one to play with such things. I am heading over for the group hike weekend, and hope to work on things then. I even have an improved camera, and IF I can get a version of XP Pro installed on my older lap top, I am taking that over and setting it up, too. Dang! I need more TIME!

Here's a question for the people here: Do you think reimbursing me for such things as web cam software (Windows XP Pro is about $60 on ebay) is something the association dues can cover?

I am hoping we can use the association to help support the web cam, and therefore use it as a connection to Doug and the Whitney Portal Store and Hostel. I really want this web site to be "in cooperation" with the Doug and the WPS.

Comments?

Last edited by Steve C; 09/23/09 12:46 PM.