After checking a list for known fatalities to bears from 2000 to 2009, there were 17 fatalities from Black Bears and only 10 from Grizzly Bears. I know there are less Grizzly Bears and in fact less people to encounter Grizzly Bears, but are we taking Black Bears to lightly? There were 0 (Zero) fatalities (from Grizzlies) in the Continental United States with the exception of the Grizzly Bear fatality on a trainer in Big Bear, CA.

Also, some of the Black Bear attacks were gruesome, including bears that dragged people out of tents, several campsite attacks and one that actually went onto a roof to chase down it's victim.

I know this is the "perfect" time to bring this subject up as we all plan our hikes. (facetiousness) But it really does point out how unpredictable Black Bears can be and how we need to be responsible for our campsites, the food lockers, garbage and what we leave in our cars. Bears are easily trained and they come to the trails, campsites and the Portal because we have trained them to come there by leaving them an easy resource for food. As I said in one of my last posts, a bear walked within a few feet of me last year without me even noticing. A few days earlier, I was going to a sink to wash my dishes at a Campground near South lake. I didn't even see the bear with his butt sticking out of a trash can eating fish guts until someone told me to stay way from the sink.

It can take only a few second aways from the bear lockers, the steaks on the fire, the backpack for a bear to remove the contents. And, unlike my errors in not paying attention....we need to make sure we aren't the ones initiating the contact.

I've heard some of Doug's stories about bears in the Portal. If you have one to share, please do.
List of Fatal Bear Attacks in North America

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier