Originally Posted By: Steve C
Joe, I didn't realize that black bears were that "guilty"! Thanks for pointing it out.

This is a good topic any time. I don't have time now, but I'll be sure and read the reference you gave.

The thing that's always jumped out at me about black bear fatalities (and attacks) is that well more than half of them occur in Alaska and Canada, where the blacks are much bigger and much more aggressive than in most of the Lower 48. Factor in the population density of Alaska and Canada versus the Lower 48, and it's even more telling. If you remove the Canada and Alaska incidents, the few remaining problem area trends seem to be Colorado, Utah and Tennessee (and Tennessee only because of the Great Smokeys NP, which is by far the most-visited NP in the system - therefore a lot more potential for human/bear encounters than anywhere else in North America).

On this general topic, I've also read that bear pepper spray actually has a higher effectiveness rate against Grizzlies than blacks, even though many of us would assume the opposite. Interesting article here regarding a study in Alaska.

Me personally, I'm quite happy not to have to worry about Grizzlies in California - or anywhere else in the Lower 48 other than Montana, Wyoming and extreme northern Washington. When I've hiked in Grizzly country, it is just not as enjoyable an experience.