No association with the Loma Prieta quakes. I can't remember the month, but the third quake occurred as we arrived at work at 8 AM on a Monday morning. Our bus was rocking back and forth in time with the waving of the road.

It was a direct reaction to the movement of the magma body near the intersection of 395 and 203. The magma moved upward in a long tongue toward the surface of the earth, causing displacement of sub-surface rock. Reports at the time said that the magma came within about 1 1/2 miles of the surface. Powerful stuff.

During the those quakes the there was a lot of rock and dirt slides into Pine Creek canyon, and minor damage inside the offices, labs and mill. Our underground crews in Pine Creek Mine (deep inside Wheeler Ridge) reported little movement inside the mine, except for some "strange creaking sounds" from the rock. Work continued regardless; miners are a tough breed of human being.

We worked the rest of the day wearing our hard-hats, in case more things fell from the ceiling of our office.

Last edited by Bob West; 08/30/17 07:29 AM.