Update: I spoke with Kathy Barton at Inyo Environmental Health again today to get the latest Nitrate levels. The last data reported by the state on that database link above was 2012. Kathy actually takes the samples and has the latest data, which is public information but not yet entered into the state database. Based on the numbers she reported, Nitrates haven't increased significantly since 2008. All the reported numbers are really low, within the noise of the test method. So once again, it's unlikely that the groundwater in this area is getting contaminated. In addition, she reported they found animal "activity" in the old spring box. So we have a reasonable explanation. Furthermore, the first test results from the new spring came back clean for E Coli. But she didn't think the new spring would come online this season after all, probably design/construction/approval delays.

I'm impressed with Kathy as a diligent and very competent public official perfectly suited for her job. She's got her eye on the ball and I'm confident she'll keep an eye on this going forward, at least for the spring water. The surface water up the trail is not under her jurisdiction. That sampling is done by Inyo NF and governed by the state - Lahontan Regional Water Quality Control Board.

I'll try to follow up with the surface water monitoring results when I get a chance. The allowable E Coli levels are much higher for surface water. I requested the data several years ago in an email to the previous District Ranger, Margaret Woods, but never heard back. A phone call will probably work better than email, I just need to find the time during business hours and catch the right person at their desk. Not that easy.