Originally Posted By: quillansculpture

If any of you have summited after a heart attack, I would love your advice.

Have had two heart attacks, one in '93, the other in 2001. In between those two dates, I summited Whitney twice, and since 2001 have summited it 18 times (lived in Inyokern for 7 years). I don't track how many 14'ers since '93 I've done (would have to consult my spreadsheet), but a WAG would be about 75, and did Kilimanjaro (20K' +/-) 2 years ago (was 68). Am I a super athlete - no, not in the least. Am about 15lbs overweight (working on that...) I hike, on average, twice a week, each hike averaging 10 miles, and 3-5K' elevation gain. That includes winter hiking (I live in New England now). On average, I hike/trek about 800 miles a year. Am I unusual in terms of heart disease - no to that also. I know many hikers (nearly all men) who've had MI's, stents, bypasses, ablations, etc. There are so many variations of heart disease and treatment I've learned not to generalize. What I do know is this - the heart (and body) is a wonderful thing, and given an opportunity the heart will grow capillaries around blockages if given enough time. The 1st MI was severe - had to be defibrillated 3 times, and my heart had stopped long enough to sustain damage which initially reduced heart function about 30%. The 2nd MI was much milder - a blockage (85%) was quickly located and a stent inserted. Now, 25 years later, my cardiologist says that based upon echocardiograms, my heart shows little/no evidence of the 2 MI's. What does slow me down in the damage to my lungs from 25 years of smoking 2+ packs/day which I did from college until the first MI.

You asked for advice, so here's two points ... choose (if you haven't already) a cardiologist who understands how critical staying active is to your well-being. If possible, find one who is a high altitude climber him/herself. The cardiologist who treated me in the ER and then for several years when I lived in VT had climbed several 20K' peaks in South America during med school, and was a huge source of encouragement. Five years after the first MI, when I'd become a proficient hiker/mountaineer, I told him I was planning a month-long road trip to do Longs, Adams (WA), Rainier, Shasta and Whitney, he wrote an Rx - "Have a great trip!", which remained tacked to the 'frig for at least 20 years. The other bit of advice - do your own hike/trip/whatever. Life, and climbing a mountain, is not a competition. Know your limits, and what brings you joy. And, if necessary, remind yourself that it's the journey, not the destination.

Am in admiration of the challenges you've faced, and hope the above will provide some assurances that an MI does not necessarily mean your hiking days are over.