Originally Posted By: quillansculpture
KevinR... I remember your posts from years ago, when I was making my first attempt to summit. A few weeks after my first goal to summit Whitney, I was diagnosed with melanoma, and plans had to be put back a bit. I also needed a total hip replacment, and made the decision to hold off hip surgery for three years. I was blessed to have friends around me, many from this board who followed my jurney, and with luck and lots of God's grace, I summited on my second try (all within a month), 11 months after a total hip replacement. I've summited just 5 times, and fell in love with the Mountaineer's Route after the first try and never wanted to do the main trail again. Well, that's changed, and my plans are just to go as far as I can on the main trail, and, as you said, enjoy the journey.
Your post brought a fullness in my heart, shared a safe I needed to see. I showed your post to my girlfriend, as I know how concerned she is for my safety, and all I could hear her say was "wow"... And then she said maybe I might have the pleasure of meeting you on a trail someday. I need to thank you for your words, as they help not just me, but my gf, my friends and family as I hit the trails here in SoCal, with that dream of Whitney one more time. You truly are an inspiration, and thank you for writing and saying exactly what I needed to hear.

You're quite welcome. Glad you found it useful. Perhaps as we get a little closer to the most active part of the Whitney hiking "season" that others with cardiac issues will share their stories.