Originally Posted By: work765
Originally Posted By: Wiff
I would not make Whitney my first attempt at climbing in snow and using any of that equipment. Way too dangerous.

what about getting microspikes and trying for the switchbacks?

I’ve been mountaineering for 30 years. If I were climbing Whitney on June 2, I would bring medium-weight climbing boots, 10-point crampons, an ice axe, ski poles, and proper clothing. I bypass the switchbacks any time there is sufficient snow in “the chute.” I would not try to climb Whitney without proper clothing, proper gear, or the slightest clue about how to use that gear. I would not try to climb to 14,500’ without knowing that I tolerate high altitude reasonably well.

Every year, there are people who want to say they climbed Whitney, but don’t want to do it right. Can you do it in June with trail runners and microspikes and no experience? Probably not. Will you die trying? Again, probably not. But every year, a few people die because they just wandered out into the wilderness with insufficient experience and gear, and got in over their heads. Don’t get your name on the evening news.