I've stayed at Horseshoe meadows 3 years in a row on the night before I stayed at the campground (then hiking to the summit). I've never slept well there, if at all. Going from sea level to 10000 feet and trying to sleep in a tent is a tall order for anybody. So anticipating that, I hedged my bets and stayed up there as long as I could (I think 1 am was the latest I stayed up there) before bailing for a hotel in Lone Pine. As Steve said, a good night's sleep is the most important two nights before the hike. Especially since you're not likely to sleep well at the campground (anticipation and nerves makes it tough, not to mention sleeping in a tent at 8000 feet).

So I would do both. Get up to Horseshoe as early as possible, perhaps right after lunch, and hang for as long as you can. If you can get a decent nights sleep there, more power to you. Otherwise, get out of there if you can't get to sleep and get to a motel in town and sleep sleep sleep. Then grab your permit and head up to the campground. Of course, if you have a camper or some bed arrangement in your vehicle, that would probably make it more bearable at Horseshoe. My brother has had success sleeping that way driving from SoCal to Horseshoe.

I live in the Bay Area so I'm fortunate to have the option to stay at Mammoth Inn along the way (9000 ft.). As a full service Hotel with a nice bed, I can get that good night's sleep while acclimating, that I could never get at a high altitude campground like Horseshoe or Whitney Portal campground.

Last edited by bruce; 05/08/19 08:41 PM.