Couch man: Your 10 miles per week is what I was doing at your age, and if you can do that 6:40 pace, I think you're good to go. Back then, I think I started Whitney about 7 AM and finished around 5 pm. AMS got me at the summmit. A juicy peach was all I could choke down -- nothing dry!

So... your AMS plan is excellent. Book a room up at the top of Mammoth-- Mammoth Mtn Inn. It's at 9000 elevation--two nights there plus one at Whitney Portal, and you will be good to go. Pick up your Whitney permit on Friday. It's a long round trip to Lone Pine back on Thursday. Instead, take the gondola to the top of Mammoth Mtn and spend several hours there.

You should have hiked today. It only takes a few days for muscle recovery. I'd try an after-work hike Monday.

Weather looks excellent so far. Check the link mid-week, but if it doesn't change, even thunderstorms are absent. Just in case, take an emergency rain poncho. Take something warm -- hat and jacket as a minimum. Your running shoes is all you need on the feet.

FYI: I just dip-and-drink the water. You need to drink lots of it, almost a pint an hour, even though you don't feel thirsty. Lemonade mix and Nuun electrolyte tablets make a great mix. The inlet to Trail Camp pond is good, but stay away from that pond ;-) Take 3 liters from Trail Camp up: Drink one by the top of the switchbacks, another by the summit.

Good luck! Let us know how you do.