Originally Posted By: bobpickering
The problem isn't the permit system. It's overpopulation.

Exactly. Since no was asked to be born, nor were they allowed to choose their parents, nor country, nor sex, nor time, nor date & place, institutional rules & protections are assumed to be applied equally & fairly across different generations.

This is why we have government, legal systems and judicial processes. What if something you & I enjoyed in our youth was arbitrarily withdrawn to others in newer generations just because of differences in their birth years?

That is what is happening today. Here's a good analogy: I live by the beach in SoCal, and happen to enjoy it when it's relatively empty. What if some local agencies decided that only a set number of people could come to the beach in order that people like myself could enjoy the reduced crowds? That would be a pretty sweet - for me - huh? It's easy to draw this analogy out to any activity, access and/or traffic management aspect. Example: too many people driving today; we're gonna restrict driving licenses.

However, what is going to happen is that kids are going to figure out that they are being screwed - literally - and begin to question the rule of law. They're already saddled with huge college student loans, they graduate into a world that has reduced financial opportunities compared to their parents, and to top it off, they can't even go for a hike.

This is a recipe for push-back, and I predict it will become more widespread if the agencies don't address the real issue, which is what you said: population. They need to buck up and deal with the reality, not the concept. It took Yose awhile to come around with respect to the Valley, and this type of approach needs to be scaled up for the rest of the range.

If I was rebellious teen or young 20-something in today's world, I'd pretty much be right there alongside saying a big F-you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PacificCrestTra...and_management/

Last edited by Hobbes; 10/04/19 05:08 PM.