Yes, we are very much counting on a vaccine to immunize as many people as possible in order to return society to (post-pandemic) normal, and social distancing, masks, and hand hygiene are the temporary bridge to get us there. Herd immunity is the Darwinian method to achieve the same goal. Herd immunity means that close to 95% of the population would have been infected. To achieve herd immunity with this virus, I've read experts predictions of one to two million American deaths. How many rational people would be okay with that? And the icing on that cake is that is that Dr. Fauci says this virus is almost the most contagious microbe he's ever seen, which is scary. To compare, HIV AIDS is only spread by direct contact with body fluids.

I just read an article by a NY Times editor who's a previously healthy 33 year old runner now about a month into COVID illness and still can't walk more than a few blocks without stopping. She was never sick enough to be hospitalized. She says that the day before she became symptomatic, she ran 3 miles, walked 10, and was running up the stairs in her apartment building with her laundry. The next day, she felt like she had hot tar buried deep in her chest and couldn't take a full breath unless she was on all fours. Then I read about the idiots in Wisconsin and other states crowding bars and restaurants celebrating their "freedom" and I just shake my head. They're no different from the pastors and churchgoers who are "bathed in the blood of Jesus," which hasn't protected some of them from dying anyway. Listen to the scientists and doctors, people. (End of rant.)

Edit: Last figures I read from a physician involved in studying COVID: About 35% of infected people will show no symptoms while another 25% will have such mild illness that they will not feel the need to seek medical care. That's 60% of infected people who don't realize they're capable of spreading the virus. And it's not practical (or even possible) to test every single person.

Last edited by SoCal Jim; 05/14/20 05:48 PM.