I thought the system had completely broken down, but maybe not entirely.

In addition to all the other problems described here, just "picking up" an already reserved permit can be difficult. I was struggling to get my permit (for 5/24). After seeing the Content Could Not Be Loaded error, I tried the email business described on the new Permit Pickup Instructions page at fs.usda.gov, but my emails of 3 & 4 days ago to SM.FS.WildPmt_Inyo@usda.gov went unanswered, despite the promise of a 2-day turnaround.

No one answered the phone at the Eastern Sierra Visitors Center after many tries (and the 790 number is a typo; the 2nd number should also be a 760 number).

BUT on the 6th try this a.m., my gal Cindy G. on the Wilderness Permit help line answered, found one of my emails, & sent me my permit.

The takeaway: They are not holding to the 2-day email turnaround, but are working through the emails as fast as they can. The early season this year and the holiday weekend coming up have increased the load. Just this morning they added some people to their phone line crews, to handle emails, etc. They're also trying to ramp up with new staff to get the visitor center reopenings underway. Cindy didn't want to say not to try the Visitor Center numbers, because even if they're not answering today, they should be doing so consistently soon (perhaps in a week or three), so hang in there, I guess.

She also said they like the open-ended, How will you store your food? question (even though it's arguably inappropriate for day hike permits) because the answers often indicate that people need some basic instruction in handling food in bear territory (shocking, I know).

Originally Posted by tif
...it looks like this year they are doing a 2 week daily rolling release of the 'walk up' permits that are now short term reservable (top of this page: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/passes-permits/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5356869) compared to the Monday releases they did last year....