Edit: subject changed from "What happened to Mr. Brunette?"
(Let's give the topic some rest ...two more weeks)

The loss of Wade Brunette certainly struck a nerve in the Mt. Whitney community. But, I am yet to see any explanation of how he actually came to his end. According to Richard Piotrowski's Smugmug gallery for his October 31 hike, Mr. Brunette's body was found at the base of Mt. Muir. Since he took the much discussed pictures of the recovery, I assume that this location is correct. To me, this fact means that he fell from one of the "windows". He was described by the last group to see him as laboring and breathing heavily. I can't imagine that he boulder scrambled up to the ridgeline in that condition. That leaves only the "windows" as a place where you could fall to the east. Then, there is the matter of the abandoned pack. The coordinates of N 36 33.8 W 118 17.6 are at the "point" of the first switchback past the John Muir Trail junction heading towards the summit. What if Mr. Brunette decided that the weight of his pack had become too much. He stashed it a bit off trail so it would be out of sight and continued towards the summit. He picked the "point" of the switchback because it would be easy to recognize on the way back. Unfortunately, he did not return.

This is all conjecture on my part, but it seems to fit the facts as I know them. Or I could be totally off base. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Steve C; 11/06/09 10:31 PM. Reason: subject change