Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. There where 2 areas of my plan that I was really interested in suggestions, hiking up to Lone Pine Lake and dinner Wed evening. I thought if the complete plan was listed, it would help with feedback.

Based on some of the posts I should have mentioned I have read the threads regarding what time a person can be on the trail based on the permit. I called the IAVC in May so I would know what the 'official' ruling is regarding where I can be at midnight. This is how it was expalined to me:

The permit is for the Whitney Zone. As the person from the IAVC mentioned, there's a reason the sign is posted on the trail to designate where the Whitney Zone starts. It is to let hikers and rangers know where the Whitney Zone permit enforcement starts and stops. That's not to say an indivdual ranger will interpret the permit wording and deem the TH to the sign as part of the Whitney Zone.

Anyway, as I have seen on other posts, it's up to the individual to use their own judgement and make decisions on what is best for their situation.

Bulldog, you bring up a very good point regarding the limited menu options at the store if I leave out the burger. Based on the photo you posted on the WPS of the menu board, I do see a BLT listed. I read one of BobR posting of taking a BLT as food on one of his recent hies. I never thought of that. As altitude always kills my appitite and I have to force myself to eat, I might try a BLT on a trainig hike. If I can eat it, then I'll get one from the store to take up the trail.

As far as dinner on Wed, I was debating about cooking a good meal, dinner at the store or going down to Lone Pine for pizza or some type of pasta for a good carbo load. Some of the replies have me thinking of not hiking up to the Whitney Zone sign during the day, but rest and relax around the portal, down to Lone Pine for a good meal and back up to get a nap before leaving around 10pm (maybe).

As far as the weather and the cold, I'm very familiar with the exterme weather changes in the Sierras. I lived for 8 years in the North Lake Tahoe / Truckee area. Sept and Oct were my favorite months. The summer crowds had left and there was a little down time before the ski season started. Nothing like waking up to below freezing temps, summer temps (80 degree plus) in the afternoon, and back down to 50 degrees in the early evening. I still have most of my winter gear. A lot of fleece, gortex, and down. As I mentioned, I will be keeping a close eye on the weather. I will be bringing a lot more gear than I will actually hike with. I will decide on what to pack for my "day" hike based on the conditions that day. I'm expecting to be taking the layers on and off all day.

Quillansculpture, that's an awesome pix. I would love to see the falls that way. Since the night I'm hiking is close to a full moon, it would be increadible to see the moonbeems bounce off the ice of a frozen waterfall. And the reason I'm leaving around midnight is to be able to stop and take in the sights and sounds. I plan on taking my time up the hill and enjoy every step, including each one on the 97 switchbacks. smile