Keep an eye on the weather reports. You won't know what the weather is "supposed" to be like until about a week before.... AND, it can change. Last October, I wore shorts with long johns underneath. I looked stupid, but I didn't care and it worked fine. Just because it's really cold in the morning doesn't mean it's not going to be really warm when you get to the switchbacks.

Eat what you think you can stomach. it can be different at 12,000 feet. Bring something you KNOW you can eat if everything else fails. Snickers? PB & J? Hot choc for the morning and maybe coffee. Nuts, small snacks and like wbtravis said....pasta can be really yummy right before bed.

20 degree bag is great. I'm not into expensive tents, just light tents....so get the lightest tent you can get with some quality. Hopefully something on sale. The pad is important.

As far as sleeping at 12,000. Though you go to bed early, it may not be easy to fall asleep. I actually used a Valium to finally get to sleep after laying there for 2 hours. I had absolutely no problems in the morning with sluggishness or waking up. And, the sleep felt good. Some people would not agree with drugs, but I laid there long enough without sleep.

Bring a filter and your camelback. Filtering is pretty quick and it saves weight.

Most importantly, have fun.

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier