Thanks...1955 in Jacksonville Illinois was a completely different world. Designer gear didn't exist...the closest would be Sears and Roebuck usually their catalogue and whatever stores were on Jacksonville Square. We didn't care much for clothes so long as we could ride our bikes, play outside and do whatever kept us occupied. Two TVs in the neighborhood and the highlight of the week for my sister and I was going across the street to Mrs Dwyer's house on Sunday to watch the Steve Allen Show and The Cisco Kid. There was no great planning, permits etc to climb Mt Whitney..just seemed an exciting thing to do on summer vacation. I wore a pair of blue jeans, my t-shirt and what I called my gym shoes. I think my Aunt Iris leant me the hat and red sweater in case it was chilly. My Uncle was a seasoned climber of Mt Whitney and had sense enough to make certain that I could do it before we left but I don't think anyone knew about us departing for the summit except my Aunt Iris, mother and my younger sister. I picked up a branch from a tree on the pathway and that was my 'trekking pole'. It was very crooked but strong and just the right size for me...I think my parents still have it somewhere and perhaps I could talk my Dad into taking a photo of it if you are interested. I could go on and on about how different life was then but it might reach Novel proportions!! I am delighted to correspond with all of you and promise to answer any and all questions..if it takes a while at times it will be because of my medical commitments. Jayne