Oooops sorry Wagga didn't know that point of origin meant place of birth...thought it meant where your started your work/training. I presume you have some Aussie conection besides being born there. Don't think it likely that your parents were on holidays in Wagga when you were born and as far as I am aware there is no US Army base in Wagga !!!
I have been to Maroochydore and by that time didn't bat an eye when I heard the name...funny names are all aboriginal and it is very common to have the same name repeated meaning plural instead of an "s" at the end of one word. It is really what the ear is used to hearing. Think of Chattanooga, Chattahooche, Piscataway, Monongahela, Appalachin etc...bizzare to the Aussie ear.
As far as pronounciation I really referred to Melbourne which is pronounced Mel'burn not Mel'born and Brisbane which is Bris'bun. The Aussies don't open their mouths too much when the speak (too many flies!!)
On the other hand in Oz I always have to correct Houston (Whoston) and St Louis (St Louie). However being a small population I find that there is more exposure to every part of the world on TV/News etc so that the Aussies do know a lot about the USA/Europe/Asia etc. and usually get is right eventually.
Incidently, forgot to tell all of you that one of the 7 girls who are my cousins is the actress Karen Allen..Uncle Stan's other sister's kid. Jayne