Here is a set of videos on YouTube that I recorded hiking up the Mountaineers Route on Sept 29, 2010.

Edit: Also find more MR information here: Mountaineers Route info links within...

These videos aren't the best quality, and I was just holding my pocket camera and walking. But it should give people a good sampling of the hike. Maybe I can get HikealongPete to do a better job sometime.

Each video gives the time recorded, to give you an idea of the length of time in each section. We were carrying 15 to 20 lb packs, since we were camping on the summit that night.

There are two threads following this on the hike:  Upper Boy Scout to the Notch, and  Mountaineers Route, Final 400 chute.

Part 1  From the Main Mt Whitney trail and the North Fork Lone Pine Creek, climbing to the point where people cross the creek to the south. Hiking with Tom W, hightinerary, from Maryland.

This video starts just above the Mt Whitney Main trail,where the MR leaves the Main Mt Whitney Trail, at the North Fork creek crossing. Climb up just before the trail crosses the North Fork Lone Pine Creek. The first few seconds show the Main Trail.
8:15 AM

This video shows the MR "trail" after leaving the Main Mt Whitney Trail, at the North Fork creek crossing. It is quite a nicely beaten path in the trees.
8:16 AM

8:18 AM

8:22 AM Shows the split:
The Route splits here--Either cross NFLP Creek to the south side, or take the North Side route. We took the north side "Rockwell Shortcut", instead of crossing the creek. The shortcut is a bit more intimidating trying to descend. Recommend crossing the creek to the south when coming down.