Originally Posted By: RoguePhotonic
Isn't that a bit different if it applies mostly to pack stations? It seems to ask to regulate something that is not related to your own actions.

I'm not sure what kind of things they go through with trail work in the national parks. Since the crews are paid i'm sure it's allot more.

I was able to join another member of the PCTA in a 2 day survey hike to assess work and all the work we scouted on 30 miles of trail was completed in less then 8 months from the survey.

To the first point, I think that in both cases, the regulations are about things that directly affect hikers, and as such, it is hikers who tend to be vocal about them. I'd speculate that it is hikers who attend the public scoping sessions, write in comments, and get the most involved. That is only based upon my biased observations, but I've seen nothing that contradicts that.

To the second, not entirely sure why we are talking about trail work, but it is definitely different in the parks (they use chainsaws in wilderness, for example)

To the third, the survey that you were involved in was "working" survey, of the older, practical type, done for the specific purpose of getting work done. This is not the type of survey of which I speak.

The type of survey I'm talking about is commonly referred to as TRACs (TRail Assessment And Conditions Surveys). It requires extensive training to be able to perform. The primary tools are GPS, cyclometer, tape measure, clinometer, and camera. The GPS is an electronic device that records features based on the triangulation of satellites. The cyclometer (a wheel with a counter) keeps precise linear measurement of the trail and its features, and therefore helps to determine where productivity factors need to be measured. The tape measure is used to measure signs, diameter of trees, radii of switchbacks and climbing turns, and other trail features as needed. The clinometer is used to measure the trail grade and side slope. The camera is used to capture photos of features.

The survey forms are hard copy documentation of the information taken by the GPS unit. These forms allow for a feature to be recorded using a code from the data dictionary, condition of the feature, a task code and a position in either feet or GPS-recorded location (depending on the trail type). The form also allows for measurements of the feature and severity levels to be recorded.

The data dictionary is a comprehensive reference document that has the set trail features, tasks, units of measure, and severity factors. It both standardizes and organizes features and their associated tasks. The data dictionary includes the feature type, feature category, feature codes, task code, task description, task condition class, and task severity factor. The data dictionary is then used to help fill out the survey form. There is both a hardcopy data dictionary, to be used with the hardcopy survey forms, and one programmed into the GPS unit for electronic documentation.

Productivity factors are the physical factors influencing the trails, such as the side slope, soil type, trail grade, brush and regeneration vegetation and the timber type. Knowing these factors help the department determine the cost to reconstruct or maintain the trail. Productivity factors are taken in locations that are determined by the trail class type. Trails are assigned classes, ranging from minimally developed (class 1) to highly developed (class 5). The detail with which we survey is directly related to each trail's class.

A highly experienced team might be able to survey about 4 miles of trail in good condition per day.

a nice essay on all this, from which some of the above was taken:

http://www.thesca.org/motracs/node/136560

I've gone through Tracs training, and been involved in such surveys......ugh!