Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Mt Whitney Dance Party
Bulldog34 #10011 01/13/11 08:01 AM
S
S
Bulldog34 wrote:
> It's been colder in Atlanta the past two nights than on the summit of Whitney

Gary, I was ready to call you out on that, but first I checked the NOAA weather. For tonight it's:
Whitney summit: 16F
Atlanta 16F
O-M-G!!!!

How often does this type of cold snap occur?

> I'm in to my 5th day of being stuck at work. Hope to make it home by tomorrow!

At least you're not stuck in the summit hut dreaming about those dancing girls.
...Hows that Positive Attitude doing? wink

Steve C #10014 01/13/11 11:45 AM
Trust me Steve, I checked before I made a statement like that, although I'm sure the summit wind chill is a bit lower smile. Tonight is projected to be 10 in Marietta, my little burb of the ATL. Usually we'll have 2-3 snaps a winter with lows dipping in to the teens, but that's almost always a Canadian air/jet stream anomoly with no moisture. This heavy snow and trailing arctic air is a once-in-20-years type thing. The last one I can recall was a blizzard in 1993 - a foot-plus of snow, and a week or more to melt out.

My wife, a Minnesota native, was flabbergasted at that '93 event. That was also when she forever swore off trying to drive in Atlanta in snow/ice conditions. Minnesota is relatively flat, and has good treatment plans for secondary roads. Atlanta is hilly - steeply so, in the northern suburbs - and secondary roads are ignored by the DOT in a snow event. Hell, primary roads and some freeways are ignored. Yesterday, 48 hours after the snow had stopped falling, the DOT had only 5 lanes out of 16 open along I-75 near my hotel. Today 10 were open, but only beacuse of sunshine-melt and traffic flow.

The good news is that I managed to finally make it home from work this afternoon - no 5th night stranded!

Steve C #10037 01/14/11 08:56 AM
C
C
Steve, it does get cold here in the South.

Record low for Ga. -17 in 1940

Record low for Atlanta -8 in 1985

Record low NC. -34 on Mt. Mitchell in 1985

Gary, I well remember that 93 storm. This storm is known as the Storm of the Century. Lots of info on the web about it. In a nutshell, over March 12-13 a extratropical low pressure system with cat 2 hurricane low pressure formed in the Gulf of Mexico, moved ashore in Fla. with high enough storm surge to drown a few people. The low then slammed into an artic high pressure system spilling out of the high plains and produced record amounts of snow and high winds and travled all the way into Canada, kiling over 300 people. What I remember the most, is the wind the day it moved through Atlanta. Near gale force and substained for most of the day. Mt. Leconte in the Smokies got over 60' of snow out of it.

One funny side note from this. My wife at the time who was from Anchorage had invited her best friend from Anchorage down for some nice southern sunshine and tour of some of the nice southern homes here. She got in the day before the storm hit. No sunshine, no tour. Weather in Anchorage was nicer than here.

And Steve, don't worry about Gary being stranded at work. What he didn't tell you was his workplace is only a stones throw from Hooter's Headquarters.

john

catpappy #10045 01/14/11 03:24 PM
I remember those winds, John. Barb and I were going be married in a couple of months, and she had only been in Atlanta less than a year. I recall her standing at the window while that blizzard raged just shaking her head and swearing she had not seen anything worse growing up in Minnesota. And this was mid-March, when Atlanta is normally popping with spring buds and 70-degree weather.

Less than three months later, the week of our wedding, temps were well over 100 and the heat index in excess of 130. First trip South for most of her family from Minnesota, and they thought they'd been transported directly to hell. Two years later her parents came for a vist, and their first night in town Hurricane Opal blew through and wreaked havoc everywhere. The next year, when Minnesota family worked up the courage to try again just prior to the '96 Olympics, we had a some massive summer storms with tornadoes touching down all over the place. That particular trip they enjoyed 3 different days with the local tornado sirens going off, scaring the crap outta them. Been a long time since my wife's family from Minnesota has come calling . . .

And the Hooters HQ was snowed out all week as well, so it was a ghost town. Just wasn't my week, man.

Bulldog34 #10048 01/14/11 09:37 PM
S
S
Golly! I'm sitting here laughing at your stormy weather tales.

Makes me glad I'm here in dull ol Fresno.

Steve C #10051 01/15/11 07:10 AM
The Weather Channel HQ and studios are located about a mile from the hotel I manage. It's always funny watching them report on a weather event in Atlanta - they all toss off streets and neighborhoods with a much greater degree of detail than their normal reporting. I'll never forget the extensive flooding in Atlanta last year - Jim Cantori spent 3 days reporting from a rowboat near his condo complex in the Vinings area, and you would have thought it was a Cat 5 hurricane from his breathless intensity.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard