Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Wildrose Peak
Bulldog34 #11143 02/26/11 01:28 PM
Gary - I can see the Panamints from my place (about 50 miles away) and it looks like the snow level and amount of snow of snow is lower (and more) than on this eastern end of the Sierra, so some warm boots are a good idea.

Thanks for the invite. I arrange hikes for a "Wednesday Group", and this week will be up on Malpais Mesa via the Santa Rosa mine route, which is near the western edge of DV, off the Saline Valley Road west of Father Crowley's. The mesa overlooks Owens Lake. There's evidence that native peoples spent much time up there, and our group's conjecture is it would be a much cooler area in mid-summer than down near the lake (and there was a big lake prior to the DWP). If that were the case, how did they get the children and older people up there? There's a rather thick basalt band to the west, just below the mesa itself, with no obvious route thru it. Our first two attempts to find a "grandmother route" involved hiking up a canyon dividing Malpais and Conglomerate Mesas, looking for a moderate approach to the mesa above. While we managed both times to get up on the mesa, neither of the routes were anything you'd take your grandmother on. Next Wednesday we're going to try a different approach. We'll hike to a location where native peoples frequented, and then follow a drainage west, hoping that its drop thru the basalt layer will be moderate enough for travel by youngsters and oldsters alike (plus some moderate oldsters like ourselves...)

You'll be in good hands with Mr. Pickering.

KevinR #11300 03/03/11 06:26 PM
OP Offline
Catpappy and I did Wildrose today - beautiful weather and snow at about a foot at the deepest. No one else on the trail all day other than two ladies who hit the summit about the same time. Great day all around. Saw Kevin in the summit register a couple of times, along with Bob R.

To my surprise, there is now 3G service in Furnace Creek - including the campgrounds.

Bulldog34 #11309 03/04/11 07:13 AM
Originally Posted By: Bulldog34
Catpappy and I did Wildrose today - beautiful weather and snow at about a foot at the deepest. No one else on the trail all day other than two ladies who hit the summit about the same time. Great day all around. Saw Kevin in the summit register a couple of times, along with Bob R.

To my surprise, there is now 3G service in Furnace Creek - including the campgrounds.

Glad to hear you made it. A group of us were over on Malpais Mesa, which is about the same elevation as the Wildrose TH. Was surprised to find very little snow on Malpais, but there was a cool breeze nearly all day.

KevinR #11310 03/04/11 07:30 AM
How was the road to Sana Rosa - any snow on the road to the mine?

Tomcat_rc #11311 03/04/11 07:41 AM
Originally Posted By: Tomcat_rc
How was the road to Sana Rosa - any snow on the road to the mine?
No snow, Tom. Road's in pretty good shape. We parked up by the old mine with no hassles, and there were 5 of us in the truck.

KevinR #11331 03/04/11 03:15 PM
Tom -

Meant to mention: Bob J. lost his camera there last Wednesday. He took a spill up on the mesa on the return, so if you're headed north, please keep an eye out. The spill occurred after gaining the mesa, traveling west about 1/4 mile, then north to avoid that drainage. It was about 1/3 mile after turning north that he fell. He may or may have lost it there, but he definitely had it into the early afternoon.

I know it's needle in a haystack, but ...

Don't know if you're headed towards Santa Rosa or Banana.

Last edited by KevinR; 03/04/11 03:16 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard