Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Re: Whitney Lottery Progress 2011
Steve C #12511 04/07/11 06:03 AM
For those trying to track their permit progress, my credit card was charged last Wednesday, and I received my permit reservation letter yesterday. I did not get one of my requested (preferred) dates, but a Whitney permit is a Whitney permit, and I'm just happy to have one... grin

Jean-Guille #12516 04/07/11 07:46 AM
N
N
when is your Whitney date? Early or Late? Will you try to change it? Just curious. I lucked out in getting a date at the September full moon so so a sunset around 7 PM should not be such a problem (and I will bring headlamps of course)

NJ hiker #12523 04/07/11 11:03 AM
Originally Posted By: NJ hiker
when is your Whitney date? Early or Late? Will you try to change it? Just curious. I lucked out in getting a date at the September full moon so so a sunset around 7 PM should not be such a problem (and I will bring headlamps of course)

Hey NJ,

I got the end of August. I briefly considered trying to change it, but will probably just stay put, especially with the snowpack this year. One hiking partner says he's good with it, the other hasn't weighed in yet.

It is a good date, I just don't want to wait that long, LOL... laugh

J-G

Jean-Guille #12524 04/07/11 11:13 AM
T
TFC Offline
T
Just to give some info for anyone else that may have supplied an expired card or had an issue with the credit card company....

My credit card company had a security issue and suggested several weeks ago that we close our account and open a new one. I of course completely agreed (I've already been thru one round of identify theft. Not fun.), but then I remembered the Whitney lottery. Crap! What to do?!!

I had tried calling the permit office about a week or so ago. However, at that time they weren't even taking calls. I decided to wait it out. Well, today I got an email explaining they needed updated cc info. No problem! I called them up, got right through, and now a reservation letter is on its way! I'm so stoked! I tried to get the dates over the phone, but that was just wishful thinking. whistle

Good luck everyone!
John

NJ hiker #12525 04/07/11 11:15 AM
N
N
Hey, all! Yet another question from a newbie: I am coming off an ankle injury which should be well healed by Sept. I have a permit for Sept 13-15. Three days should be enough for Whitney but what happens if I need a 4th day (can't make it all the way out on the third day)? ]Do I need to make a formal request? Or is the permit only concerned about the start date and not the exit date?

Jean-Guille #12526 04/07/11 11:22 AM
N
N
J-G, the end of August is a great date--More thime to do training hikes! And friends can be persuaded with that permit in hand...

NJ hiker #12527 04/07/11 11:37 AM
Hey, all! Yet another question from a newbie: I am coming off an ankle injury which should be well healed by Sept. I have a permit for Sept 13-15. Three days should be enough for Whitney but what happens if I need a 4th day (can't make it all the way out on the third day)? ]Do I need to make a formal request? Or is the permit only concerned about the start date and not the exit date?

You can ask them to change the exit date on the permit when you pick it up. The overnight (i.e., multiday) permits technically are good for up two weeks as I recall. But they like to keep track of who is on the trail. You should not have a problem changing the exit date if you feel the need to so so.

NJ hiker #12528 04/07/11 11:51 AM

NJ Hiker, it's only for the start date - the exit date is not written in stone. You have 14 days from the start date to actually exit. They ask for an exit date for tracking and informational purposes. You can update them when you pick up your permit in Lone Pine.

Steve C #12536 04/07/11 03:27 PM
Already making alternate plans after getting rejection letter. Got lucky last year however. This forum has given me some good ideas. Mt Langley looks like a good trip if I can't get a overnight permit with a mini lottery.

Steve C #12537 04/07/11 03:37 PM
M
M
Well I was beginning to wonder about my permit apps as my CC# had changed and from Steve's update it sounded like they would be wrapping things up this week. Just got the call to get my corrected information and the lady had both my apps together to update and said they were both successful. So I'm happy to say my success for Whitney permits is still 100% over the years!

So anyone else in the same situation with a credit card getting changed, it appears they are still working through the tail end of the apps so hang in there if you haven't heard anything as of yet!

Time to start getting stoked! Can't wait to learn which dates I got, but going to have to get the news a bit later this year due to the CC# issue, so crossing my fingers I'll still be able to snag a camp site.

NJ hiker #12540 04/07/11 04:01 PM
NJ Hiker,

What is your trail exit date?

Lynnaroo
Akichow #12564 04/08/11 07:22 AM
M
M
Thanks for this great information! We were thinking of doing the same.

Jen

Motogibby #12566 04/08/11 07:50 AM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Just so there is no confusion here... That 14-day option is good only for overnight permits.

You can NOT convert a day hike permit into a multi-day or overnight permit.

Akichow #12591 04/08/11 06:33 PM
N
N
Originally Posted By: Akichow

You can ask them to change the exit date on the permit when you pick it up. The overnight (i.e., multiday) permits technically are good for up two weeks as I recall. But they like to keep track of who is on the trail. You should not have a problem changing the exit date if you feel the need to so so.

Thanks Akichow. Of course as I get closer to the date in Sept I will be able to judge how fast I will go, with the orthopedists blessing of course. And my hubby and hiking buddy have agreed to take the extra weight I will not be able to carry (although my buddy said I should just take less food lol).

Bulldog34 #12592 04/08/11 06:35 PM
N
N
Originally Posted By: Bulldog34

NJ Hiker, it's only for the start date - the exit date is not written in stone. You have 14 days from the start date to actually exit. They ask for an exit date for tracking and informational purposes. You can update them when you pick up your permit in Lone Pine.

Thanks Bulldog will do

lynn-a-roo #12594 04/08/11 06:49 PM
N
N
Originally Posted By: lynn-a-roo
NJ Hiker,

What is your trail exit date?

Hi Lynn-a-roo. Entry date Sept 13 and exit date Sept 15.
If I can do distance the the 13th is Portal to Trail camp, 14th is Summit and back to Trail camp and the 15th is Trail Camp to the Portal.

If I am slow then Tues Sept 15 to Outpost, Wed 14th to Trail camp, Thurs 15th to summit and back to Trail camp and Fri 16th Trail camp back to Portal.

I have a feeling it will be how many hours I can walk as opposed to the distance itself.

Not a good year for an ankle injury (lol didn't think I would have one when I mailed the permit on Feb 1st) but the doctor knows about Whitney and says I can do it with motivation and PT for getting back strength and flexibility. He thinks I will be back to even surfaces (we have rail trails and carriage paths in my area) by May/June and uneven surfaces (real rocky east coast trails) by July.

Steve C #12595 04/08/11 06:50 PM
J
J
Just got my permit today! (I am on the east coast) Entry date of July 25 and exit on the 29th...taking it nice and slow this time.

NJ hiker #12596 04/08/11 06:54 PM
Thanks Akichow. Of course as I get closer to the date in Sept I will be able to judge how fast I will go, with the orthopedists blessing of course. And my hubby and hiking buddy have agreed to take the extra weight I will not be able to carry (although my buddy said I should just take less food lol).

Have you thought about where to camp, Outpost Camp v. Trail Camp? I've done both, and I think it is a tough call (though some others on this board will probably have strong feelings for one or the other). Outpost Camp is lower and prettier, and if you do the summit push from there in one day, you don't have to carry your backpack up to Trail Camp (some folks think that the section between Outpost Camp and Trail Camp is one of the toughest sections). You'd probably sleep better at Outpost Camp, too, because of the lower altitude, and it can be less windy. But, doing the summit push from Outpost Camp adds a lot of mileage to the day. I did the summit push from Trail Camp last Labor Day, and was glad I did.

If you do a third night, that is more food to carry, and more weight. You really want to keep your backpack at 25 lbs if you can (including water). It is doable. More than 30 and you may find yourself in trouble, even if you are in excellent condition.

You can find my trip report from a 2 nighter over Labor Day here if you are interested in how our group of 3 women did, and how weight may have factored into one woman's difficulty (despite the fact that she was an experienced backpacker in excellent shape). Also pictures.

http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/topics/7138/First_Summit_Labor_Day_9_6_201#Post7138

(Oh, I see you do have a plan re camping! Our posts crossed)

Last edited by Akichow; 04/08/11 07:27 PM. Reason: Respond to intervening email
Akichow #12602 04/09/11 03:05 AM
J
J
Thank you Akichow. You have some great posts, and great pictures. I made reservations at Whitney portal but will check out Onion Valley Campground as well.

Akichow #12614 04/09/11 06:42 PM
N
N
Thanks for the great story/trip report/advice Akichow. I will definitely be shaving the pounds and ounces aggressively for this trip. Thanks for your advice and observations on camp distance versus hauling the packs. Something to discuss with my party.

My nickname should be 'Tortoise' because my husband is the 'Hare', but my hiking pal keeps to my pace when we we have gone into the Adirondaks so it sounds like we will be similar to your party.

We have been upgrading/lightening selected equipment over the past year. Thanks to ebay and great sales at EMS, Campmor, and Ramsey Outdoors I have some excellent lightweight replacements for backpacks, sleeping bags, and boots. I cannot believe our vintage Cat's Meow bags weighed in at almost 5 lbs while the new Marmot one is only 2.5 lbs (and is much warmer/cosier). The last big ticket upgrade will be the 8 lb Sierra Designs Meteor Light CD tent (circa 2002 or 2003) for a 3 to 4 lb one (looking at a few brands/models). Up for debate are the ancient 2 lb+ orange 3/4 Thermarest pads which still work but new ones weigh less and probably insulate better. These pads are so bulky they need to go on the outside of the new backpacks.

Yeah these were the reasons the old school packs I hauled were 40-45 lbs.... I started my own 'light' revolution years ago and the trend for high quality light equipment makes it easy to get with the program!

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard