Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 219 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Video of my Mt Whitney experience - July 15, 2010
#10196 01/21/11 02:09 PM
B
OP Offline
B
For anyone that might be interested in my experience of Mt Whitney I have attached a link to the youtube video I have just finished editing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQaX77n68SA

This is Part 1 of 2. Part 2 is coming soon.

Thanks for watching and I appreciate any comments.

Re: Video of my Mt Whitney experience - July 15, 2010
Bullet777 #10207 01/21/11 10:44 PM
S
S
Man, Greg -- double heart valve replacement. And now you're climbing Whitney. Way to go, man!

Very nice video.

I've included it here for people to watch:

...but did you make it??? Please get part 2 done. grin

(It sounds like that 20-lb pack may have been too much.)

By the way, the jumping shots are cool:

Badwater:

Grand Tetons:

Earlier video here:   Mt Whitney prelim hike video June 22

Bullet777 #10918 02/16/11 09:15 PM
Dear Bullet 777,

I loved your video. You have a great talent for making movies. This must be your profession because it's an exceptional piece of film.

Personally, I can't imagine hiking to the summit of Mt. Whitney in a day. I've never done it faster than three days.

I'm not an expert on how much time it should take to hike to Trail Camp, but in my opinion you were making seriously good time. I think even a person who hasn't had open heart surgery wouldn't have arrived at Trail Camp as quickly as you and your friend.

I don't think a 20 lb. pack is too heavy unless you were carrying too much water. There was an ample water supply when you were on the trail so you shouldn't have had to carry too much. You made this hike fairly soon after a major surgery so, in my opinion, you're Superman.

I don't know if Part 2 is still in the works or if you have already made another attempt and summited, but if you haven't summited yet then I would suggest for your next attempt you change up the gear in your pack, still keeping it around 20 lbs. or under, carry a lightweight bivy sack and bivy tent (approx. 3 lbs combined for both) and make the summit in two days. My goodness, you made it all the way to Trail Camp in good time....you were so close to making the summit. All you needed was a good night's rest at Trail Camp and an early start the next day would have been all you needed to summit.

You could have left most of the contents of your pack at Trail Camp so your load would have been light while hiking to the summit. Everyone leaves their gear at Trail Camp...I always do and so do my friends and we've never had anything stolen from us. On Summit day, we take only a light-weight day pack with water and snacks to the summit (and a few emergency items). Our day packs are made of rip-stop nylon, paper thin, made by either Marmot or a brand that starts with a "D", I can't remember the name of the brand right now. As you hike down from the summit, you can pick up your remaining gear you left at Trail Camp. Just a suggestion because I want you to reach your goal by reaching the summit of Mt. Whitney.

Best of luck to you, Bullet 777, on your next attempt to summit Mt. Whitney. Thank you for coming to America. I love your accent. It always amazes me when people from such beautiful countries as your home country come to ours. Because this country is my home, I love everything about it. I'm happy to know you found it beautiful too.

I'm looking forward to Part 2.

Sincerely,
Lynn

Lynnaroo
lynn-a-roo #10949 02/18/11 06:57 AM
T
T
Hey Bullet,
Just stopping by your thread here to say hello from...Sydney Australia!

I actually arrived in Sydney a week ago, spent a couple of days in Newcastle, a day in Brisbane, a couple of days in Perth and now back in Sydney. Only to leave in about 9 hours.

Love this country. Always enjoy my trips here.
Tom

lynn-a-roo #11144 02/26/11 02:48 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for your kind comments Lynn.

No I don't make movies for my job but I really enjoy doing it as a hobby.
Unfortunately my regular job has been extremely busy lately so I haven't had the chance to finish Part 2 of my Mt Whitney experience. But it is coming soon !!!

Also thinking about my next trip to the US. Have put my application in for the Whitney Permit Lottery again for dates around July 10.

Greg

Last edited by Bullet777; 02/26/11 02:49 PM.
Bullet777 #12370 04/04/11 09:36 AM
S
S
I cannot wait for your finish product! I have only been half way, due to heart issues as well. But next time around, I plan on finishing the adventure. Great inspiration and work Bullett777!

Spaniard #14390 05/24/11 04:39 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Finally I have finished my personal video account of my Mt Whitney experience. Perhaps it was because I didn't quite make it that made me less enthusiastic about finishing the video documentary. Anyway its finally finished just 2 weeks before I head off again for Mt Whitney Mark 2.

Just a reminder that this video was filmed for me, my family and good friends so it doesn't have lots of actions shots from the trail but rather focusses on my own account of my 'Mt Whitney Personal Challenge'. It wasn't filmed and edited with the intent to post on sites like this. But with all the great information I found on this site I thought maybe my video might inspire just 1 person and make it all worthwhile to post here. So apologies to anyone who watches it and finds it boring. But thank you to anyone who does take the time to watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTe-ULbEqYw

And thank you so much to my hiking partner Adam who accompanied me on my Mt Whitney hike. I am indebted to him.

Greg

PS I have no idea how I embed the video. I think Steve did that for me last time ... can you help again Steve ?? Many thanks if you can.

Bullet777 #14393 05/24/11 05:35 AM
Greg - excellent video, and truly a labor of love. Summitting Whitney after open-heart surgery is just amazing, and you deserve a huge "Goodonya"!

Joe had told me about your being on the mountain the same day we were, and he was determined to meet you. He spoke to every single person we passed that day, trying to get a hit on an Aussie accent. He was very pleased to finally run into you as we were coming down from the summit. By the time we got back to Consultation Lake, we could see that the summit area was engulfed in dark clouds, and we wondered most of the way down if you guys had summitted or turned back due to the weather. Glad your long, expensive trip was rewarded with a view from the top!

Gary

Bullet777 #14399 05/24/11 09:21 AM
S
S
Here it is, Greg. Good luck on this year's trip!

Steve C #14419 05/25/11 01:42 AM
Thanks,Greg; you've given us all a lift.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
saltydog #14435 05/25/11 09:05 AM
Rod Offline
That was a fantastic video. I was riveted by your story and of course loved the accent.Nice zipper on your chest.Wow you are an inspiration!!! Badwater Ultra marathon next??? Now I am beginning to question your oxygen level to your brain...lol Good luck on your next amazing adventure.

Link Copied to Clipboard