Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Whitney Weather in Late June
#12964 04/16/11 06:08 AM
I
OP Offline
I
I'll be heading up out of the portal on June 28 for 2 nights. It's my first time up and I'm taking my 17 year old daughter and her friend who are both in athletic condition. I'm starting to wonder about the weather. I want to make sure they have the proper weather equipment so they will love the experience and want to backpack with me in the future. What kind of weather highs and lows should we expect. I would hate to be the dumb mom on the mountain!

Re: Whitney Weather in Late June
iteach4th #12965 04/16/11 06:51 AM
W
W
Hit the earlier link then manipulation the date within the url for historical temperatures. Add/subtract 3.5* F every 1,000' away this station's elevation.

http://tinyurl.com/42xrkwt

I've been using it for years.

Last edited by wbtravis; 04/16/11 06:51 AM.
wbtravis #12967 04/16/11 07:02 AM
I
OP Offline
I
Thanks, I'll try and use it.

iteach4th #12976 04/16/11 01:02 PM
Rod Offline
Depends on the year. I went up June 20,2007. 2006 was a drought and very dry year. We saw very little snow except a lot of snow at the cables,a walkways width pass on the cables,and patches of snow on the western backside past Trailcrest.
This year, well it snowed as recently as last weekend and there is a huge amount of snowpack now.I suspect there will be serious amounts of snow on the trail late June from Trail Camp to Summit.Read and watch trip reports posted here from May till the day before you head to Whitney. By then you will have plenty of beta to know trail conditions.Always check dmatts weather info link for weather near the time of your trip.Good luck.

Last edited by Rod; 04/16/11 01:04 PM.
wbtravis #12979 04/16/11 01:55 PM
G
G
Originally Posted By: wbtravis
Hit the earlier link then manipulation the date within the url for historical temperatures. Add/subtract 3.5* F every 1,000' away this station's elevation.

Is there a way to move that to past dates without having to hit the "earlier" button over and over again? It would take me a while to check on a date in July from last year if that's the only way.

One day I'd like to hike the entire John Muir Trail and not leave a single footprint. -Randy Morgenson
iteach4th #13000 04/16/11 08:53 PM
K
Ken Offline
K
Originally Posted By: iteach4th
I'll be heading up out of the portal on June 28 for 2 nights. It's my first time up and I'm taking my 17 year old daughter and her friend who are both in athletic condition. I'm starting to wonder about the weather. I want to make sure they have the proper weather equipment so they will love the experience and want to backpack with me in the future. What kind of weather highs and lows should we expect. I would hate to be the dumb mom on the mountain!

There are two things that will make things miserable for them: wet and cold.
You want to all have waterproof (which generally translates into gore-tex type jackets. The regular kinds of coats one wears around town are NOT the type, as they will be FAR too heavy. Most people do not need rainpants, and I've never carried them. Here is an inexpensive type that I've used, and are cheap ($25):

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/driducks_rain_gear.html

Or even a cheap vinyl raincoat will work, <$10, I'd think.

They will need a lightweight warmth layer. There is no substitute for down, but that is very pricey, if one doesn't already own such. Fleece is an option, but should be designed for the outdoors, not Old Navy. They really should try to avoid cotton. One does not need heavyweight jackets, as one is not going to be "sitting around" a campfire into the night. It's pretty much to bed when it gets dark, up when it gets light. Morning is probably when it is needed the most. You don't need the warmth layer while hiking, you are generating the heat!

I don't mean to be demeaning, but I see many novice young women who carry fashion sense into the backcounty. One of the more miserable is dressing such that abdominal skin shows. Not only is it a huge sunburn risk, but one almost certainly ends up with a "belt" of mosquito bites that is quite entertaining for weeks.

iteach4th #13001 04/16/11 08:57 PM
S
S
it4: Check the Mt Whitney Weather page for weather links in the week leading up to your hike. (The weather page link is always in the Feature Topics box just below the webcam pictures on the left.)

On that page, we have links to DMatt's weather, and the NOAA 7-day forecast for the summit area. So in a couple of clicks, you can see the weather at any time.

It is quite likely you will have excellent weather in June.

GandC #13008 04/17/11 07:53 AM
W
W
Originally Posted By: GandC
Originally Posted By: wbtravis

Is there a way to move that to past dates without having to hit the "earlier" button over and over again? It would take me a while to check on a date in July from last year if that's the only way.

Change the date within the URL...manipulate the url. There are some gaps because these stations go down but I have found this station to be one of the more reliable stations in the Sierra.

Last edited by wbtravis; 04/17/11 08:00 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard