Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
1 members (WanderingJim), 34 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
GPS Watch
#14874 06/06/11 09:08 PM
J
Jeremy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Anybody have any experience wtih GPS watches?
I have been on the hunt. Is there a watch that will actually give me long/lat coordinates so I can find myself on a topo map without triangulating my position?

Jeremy

Re: GPS Watch
Jeremy #14939 06/08/11 05:45 PM
I have had a Garmin Forerunner 305 for over 4 years. I really like it. I use it mostly to record hikes, rides, and runs and to get mileage and elevation. I tend to navigate by more traditional means. It does provide lat/lon information, among many other things. You can download a manual from the Garmin Web site if you want a lot of detail on features.

AlanK #14941 06/08/11 06:45 PM
G
G
I also have the Forerunner by Garmin. Use it mainly for road biking. Amazing what information you can get off it. Charting your course, speed and heart rate at any given point. Also lat/long, with a map overlay for referance. Still finding new things that it does.

Go Bears #14952 06/09/11 09:22 AM
J
Jeremy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks.
I looked at the Garmin 405 pdf manual.
Nothing in there about lat/long info.
???
Jeremy

Jeremy #14955 06/09/11 12:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Jeremy
Thanks.
I looked at the Garmin 405 pdf manual.
Nothing in there about lat/long info.
???
Jeremy

From a review
Quote:
CONS: Garmin Forerunner 405
1) Does not display raw latitude/longitude position on standard screen. You can save a waypoint, which they call "location", and then edit that point to see the latitude/longitude (displayed in non-decimal format).

I have a 305 but I think this is roughly what I would have to do. In this case, the watch is not as convenient as a normal GPS unit. I do not normally display lat/lon but the information is certainly in the downloaded files.

Jeremy #14956 06/09/11 12:48 PM
G
G
If you don't mind my asking, why the watch and not a handheld unit?

One day I'd like to hike the entire John Muir Trail and not leave a single footprint. -Randy Morgenson
GandC #14957 06/09/11 01:08 PM
J
Jeremy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I already have a screen based GPS on my iPHONE and am actually kind of curious how that would do in the back-country. Motion X is an app I have seen recommended. I am reluctant to spend a bunch of money on another piece of equipment which is basically similar to my iPHONE and then of course my car GPS. Plus, I kind of liked the idea of having a heart rate monitor to use this for tracking excercise stuff as well. Thanks for that review - it was great and highlights a need for a good quality watch product for the backcountry. I'm leaning towards a good handheld unit now. I want good battery power too. I've been lost before in the sierras, lost my 7.5 minute map somewhow and I love the idea of the security that these devices provide.

Jeremy #14958 06/09/11 01:38 PM
I already have a screen based GPS on my iPHONE and am actually kind of curious how that would do in the back-country. Motion X is an app I have seen recommended. I am reluctant to spend a bunch of money on another piece of equipment which is basically similar to my iPHONE and then of course my car GPS. Plus, I kind of liked the idea of having a heart rate monitor to use this for tracking excercise stuff as well. Thanks for that review - it was great and highlights a need for a good quality watch product for the backcountry. I'm leaning towards a good handheld unit now. I want good battery power too. I've been lost before in the sierras, lost my 7.5 minute map somewhow and I love the idea of the security that these devices provide.

Don't iPhone GPS apps require cell reception in order to work?

KevinR #14959 06/09/11 02:28 PM
G
G
Originally Posted By: KevinR

Don't iPhone GPS apps require cell reception in order to work?

No, not all of them. They use both, but can be used without reception. However, the big flaw with the iPhone as a GPS is battery life. You're looking at 4-5 hours battery life with an iPhone in GPS mode.

Many of the handheld units have heart rate monitors that you can team them up with. I use a heart rate strap with my Oregon 550 when I bike and jog that transmits the info to the GPS wirelessly. It's pretty nice.

One day I'd like to hike the entire John Muir Trail and not leave a single footprint. -Randy Morgenson
GandC #14960 06/09/11 02:53 PM
Battery life is a significant issue. My Garmin 305 watch will run all day, but it must be recharged. A typical handheld unit takes AA batteries. I took my eTrex Vista Cx on the entire JMT and only changed batteries a couple of times.

I find the watch to be convenient and the handheld to be more useful overall. I use both at different times. Generally, I am not using the GPS extensively for navigation and opt for the watch as being easier to deal with.

I do not have an iPhone but was not impressed with friends' experiences. As I understand it, the phone uses cell towers when possible in order to save battery life. There is a GPS receiver chip, but it drains the battery quickly. As a stand-alone GPS unit, it did not look great to me.

AlanK #14964 06/09/11 04:56 PM
T
T
+1 on the Garmin 405. I use mine every day for running, but also took it up Whitney last summer. I enjoyed seeing my tracking info on Google Earth after the trip. Alan's observations on battery life are correct. I charged mine before my trip and had it die on the second day at Iceberg Lake. It will give you lat long coordinates, but I have never used that feature.

Kent

trail runner #14965 06/09/11 05:49 PM
J
Jeremy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I think I am going IPHONE on the cheap for now. I don't do alot of off trail stuff (though maybe would if I had an oregon unit). I really only want it to tell me lat/long info that I can correlate with my map to find my position because of snow cover on the MMWT. I'm heading out 6/26 and I'm certain there will be lots of snow cover and I'll need some route finding training wheels (i've always been bad at triangulating). Any thoughts on aps?

Jeremy #15372 06/20/11 08:37 PM
A
A
Love, LOVE my hand held. Last the whole day turned on, on AA, routes, barometer, altimeter, compass, etc, etc...and highly accurate.

Guess where I'm at?

Anonymous1 #15374 06/20/11 09:15 PM
S
S
So much for that new 14,505 elevation! grin

Steve C #15636 06/26/11 12:29 PM
A
A
I'm curious as to how they got that new measurement Steve. I'm going to take another reading in two weeks to see if it's consistent...(if I make the summit, don't want to get ahead of myself here).

Anonymous1 #15645 06/26/11 04:01 PM
Originally Posted By: 2600fromatari
I'm curious as to how they got that new measurement Steve. I'm going to take another reading in two weeks to see if it's consistent...(if I make the summit, don't want to get ahead of myself here).

My understanding is that it came from an adjustment in the mean tide figure used to establish sea level. GPS units will either take the altitude from a pressure reading or from the topo data. In either event the altitude reading will be keyed to the topo data which will probably not reflect the tide data change which was done just in the last couple of years.

Mike

Link Copied to Clipboard