Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Trip Report for 7/6/2011
#16160 07/08/11 02:53 PM
Z
Zzyzx Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
We started from Whitney Portal around 2:40 am, summited about 12:00, and returned about 7:20 pm. This included many stops for pictures, snacks, rest, etc.

The trail from Whitney Portal to Base Camp is clear with a few snowy patches. Nothing to be concerned about.

The switchbacks above Base Camp are mostly, but not all, clear. Large portions of the lower start of the switchbacks are covered in snow. We had to cut through some sections of snow until we met up with the clear trail. The mid-section of the switchbacks are mostly clear. There are a few snowy patches where we lost the trail but crossing them was fairly obvious and easy. The section around the cables was mostly covered in snow. But with a few inches of exposed ledge, existing post holes, and carefully hanging on to the cables, the section is passable. The upper section of switchbacks, just about to the crest is covered in snow. This was the trickiest part because the section is steep and there was no obvious route across the snow to rejoin the trail. We had to take a guess and climbed up a steep section of boulders and snow which eventually met up with the trail. A little ways further we were met with the last snow patch of the switchbacks. This was about at the same level as the crest (top of the chute) but still another hundred yards from it. This snowy section is very steep and great care needs to be taken crossing it. Fortunately those ahead of us left some good post holes which made crossing it easier/safer. Also, there is a lot of water flowing down the switchbacks. We were walking through streams much of the way.

Don't be fooled - once at the crest, the summit is still far off. It took us probably another hour or more to get from the crest to the summit. It's uphill most of the way and extremely exhausting in the thin air. The trail is clear until the backside of Mt. Whitney where there is a large snowfield. This section is not too steep and following the post holes through it is straightforward.

Starting from the crest some dark clouds began to move in. By the time we reached the summit, we were completely socked in and hearing thunder all around us. We stayed only a few minutes then got out of there. As we left the summit it began hailing. The hail and thunder/lightning continued all the way back to the crest. Back at the crest the hail had tapered off into rain.

At the crest we had to make the decision whether to take the chute down or the switchbacks. We were feeling a little anxious and decided the chute may be faster than the switchbacks. We began following existing post holes down but soon realized that this approach was very slow and very dangerous. At one point a patch of snow under my foot gave way and I slid about ten feet before I was fortunately able to stop myself. The chute is very steep and we did not have crampons or ice axes, only poles. We were able to make our way across the chute and rejoin the switchbacks. We retraced our steps all the way down the switchbacks back to Base Camp. There to Whitney Portal was easy compared to what we'd been through.

Conclusion and final thoughts:
  • Do not attempt the chute (up or down) without crampons and ice axe (and knowing how to use them). It's much too dangerous otherwise.
  • If you don't have crampons or ice axe, then the switchbacks are manageable (but still tricky and a little dangerous in spots) with just hiking/ski poles.
  • If you're at the crest and thunderclouds are overhead or coming close, don't attempt the summit. It's still a long ways from there and you'll be very exposed to the lightning. A sign warns you of the extreme danger.
  • If attempting the hike again, I'd either wait until late summer when all the snow is melted from the switchbacks, or go all the way with crampons and ice axe to attempt the chute safely.
  • Watch the weather predictions and weather during the hike. As they say, the weather can change quickly up there.
  • I'm not real good at predicting snow melt, but I'd say the switchbacks still won't be 100% clear until late July / early August.

Re: Trip Report for 7/6/2011
Zzyzx #16171 07/09/11 04:46 AM
D
D
Zzyzx,
Thanks for the TR. Were there other groups/hikers on the switchbacks?

DonCoqui #16186 07/09/11 11:02 AM
Z
Zzyzx Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Yes, there was another larger group and others taking the switchbacks. Probably about a dozen in total that I could tell. There were maybe slightly more people taking the chute than the switchbacks.

Zzyzx #16196 07/09/11 05:37 PM
Z
Zzyzx Offline OP
OP Offline
Z

Pictures corresponding to my report:
Switchbacks pictures 7/6/2011

Zzyzx #16203 07/09/11 09:21 PM
Rod Offline
Great TR and outstanding photo Beta.You have helped countless anxious permit holders.Thank you so much.

Link Copied to Clipboard