Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 30 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Conditions between Guitar Lake and the summit?
#16141 07/08/11 09:59 AM
G
OP Offline
G
New to the forum and really enjoy how nice everone is to each other! A group including myself and two friends are embarking on Wednesday morning, July 13th from the Cottonwood Lakes trailhead. We'll be carrying ice axes and crampons, and 2 of the 3 have experience in using them. We're planning to mozy over to Guitar Lake, maybe summit Langley en route, summit Whitney, and exit down to Whitney Portal. We plan to be out for 7 days and we'll be playing our hiking days be ear (as in don't have daily goals mapped out yet). Any information on trail conditions or advice would be greatly appreciated; especially: 1) New Army Pass: someone at the Lone Pine Ranger station told me people have been making it by climbing off trail a bit south of the pass; 2) Guitar Lake to the summit: haven't seen anyone on this site describe conditions on this stretch this year; 3) Whitney summit to trail camp: I have experience down climbing and glissading steep snow on Mt. Shasta, but I've never down-climbed snow that I haven't ascended. Any advice on finding the route down the chute to Trail camp might provide some peace of mind. I have been to the summit and down the switchbacks but that was 3 or 4 years ago in August and snow was not an issue; 4) Langley: rock, snow, or mixed from New Army Pass. 5) Any creek crossings we should play special attention to?

thanks!

Re: Conditions between Guitar Lake and the summit?
geomarty99 #16159 07/08/11 02:51 PM
L
L
Marty,

We have a group going out of Cottonwood as well but on the 14th. We are going via Cottonwood Pass to avoid the snow at New Amry Pass, but this may not be an issue by the time we get there. I havent seen any recent reports. Maybe we will run into each other at some point since we are only out there for 4 days (possibly 5 if the decent takes a while). I will have a red North Face Pack.

Cant wait to see a report of the area after this weekend!

lesper4 #16183 07/09/11 10:31 AM
G
OP Offline
G
Lesper,

See ya' on the trail somewhere mabye. Dark hair, beard, dark blue Granite Gear Pack. cool

geomarty

geomarty99 #16363 07/13/11 08:17 AM
T
T
We have a similar itinerary planned, departing 19 July---just in time to miss your trip report. So I'm seconding this request for intelligence about trail conditions between Cottonwood Lakes (via Cottonwood pass) and the MMWT.

Thanks!

geomarty99 #16386 07/14/11 07:31 AM
R
R
Did the Cottonwood pass to Whitney portal hike last week end.
Snow is not an issue at all until Guitar Lake (minor small patches).
Above Guitar Lake, the trail is partly covered with snow but navigation is easy so no problem if you hit the trail early enough (i.e. hard snow). There is 2 or 3 short snow fields to cross on the (western) switchbacks, and the top one still had an icy patch around 9 am. However, they can be crossed safely with just boots and treking poles, just be careful if traveling by night (we used our microspikes, but the rangers & PCTers had nothing).
From Trail Crest to the summit, see the other reports, there's just one snow field with lots of boots holes, no problem. The snow was slushy at 11 am.
We used the (eastern) switchbacks on the way down to Whitney Portal, they have a bit more snow than the west ones, and of course the snow will probably be soft by the time you reach it in the afternoon, so be careful. The dreaded cable section is actually easy (clear rock trail).
Everyone always speak about the switchbacks but we were actually surprised by the amount of snow between Trail Camp and Outpost Camp, so don't relax too soon !
Overall, great trip, and the mosquitos aren't too bad yet...

torpified #16387 07/14/11 07:33 AM
W
W
Don't sweat Cottonwood Pass. It clears clears early even in big snow years. I've been over three times in big snow years in mid-June.

My guess is that the biggest problem along your route will be crossing Rock Creek. It's my understanding the log crossing is gone. This section of creek has big flows even late in the year.

As for New Army Pass, there is usually a cornice at the top, when snow is present. I've only been up in once when snow has been around. The cornice dropped between the climb up and our return from Langley. This was on a July 4th weekend after a mild winter.

geomarty99 #16393 07/14/11 09:06 AM
Originally Posted By: geomarty99
Guitar Lake to the summit: haven't seen anyone on this site describe conditions on this stretch this year;

rocky, with a chance of wag bags.

wbtravis #16418 07/15/11 06:18 AM
R
R
Originally Posted By: wbtravis
My guess is that the biggest problem along your route will be crossing Rock Creek. It's my understanding the log crossing is gone. This section of creek has big flows even late in the year.

The log is still about 200 yards upstream, there's even two convenient big logs !
If not a big fan, you can wade Rock Creek at the trail crossing (it was a bit calmer in the morning).

Originally Posted By: fishmonger
a chance of wag bags

No wag bag on the west side (yet...) !

Last edited by raphus; 07/15/11 06:19 AM.
raphus #16428 07/15/11 12:01 PM
R
R
I sent Raphus a PM, but I am interested in the creek crossings for anyone going up this route. Is rock creek the hardest one, or are there more near Crabtree Meadows. Did you do any wading (I see you try to avoid that!) Any creek info would be helpful for an end of the month trek.

RichMcG #16439 07/15/11 04:42 PM
W
W
I've never had any problems with water along the way. There really are not a lot of crossings, if you are utilizing Cottonwood Pass. Two of note as you enter forest from the open meadow, the Chicken Spring Lake outlet early in the year, lower Rock Creek and Whitney Creek at Upper Crabtree.

BTW, you pick up your WAG bag after you cross Whitney Creek and enter the Whitney Zone. Have fun finding the sitdown toilet in Upper Crabtree, after a few day of digging wholes this is a real treat.

RichMcG #16559 07/19/11 11:16 AM
R
R
Originally Posted By: RichMcG
I sent Raphus a PM, but I am interested in the creek crossings for anyone going up this route. Is rock creek the hardest one, or are there more near Crabtree Meadows. Did you do any wading (I see you try to avoid that!) Any creek info would be helpful for an end of the month trek.

The "hardest" creek crossing on this route is indeed the one called Lower Rock Creek crossing, located in front of the bear box ~1/2 mile after the ranger cabin (this a popular campsite along the PCT).
By the end of the month, my guess is it will be a trivial wading (or even rock hopping). If needed - or just for fun - there are two large logs 200 yards upstream the official crossing.

There's a few other crossings along the way, but none of them requires you to wet your feet, except the Whitney creek crossing just before Crabtree Meadow. However, this one is shallow and the creek bed is sandy so crossing barefoot is just a nice refreshing break...

Have fun
PS : I didn't receive any "PM" (what's that anyway ?)

raphus #16576 07/19/11 01:55 PM
Originally Posted By: raphus
PS : I didn't receive any "PM" (what's that anyway ?)

PM = Private Message. Look under "My Stuff" on the bar across the top. Select "Messages" & have at it. You should see a flashing icon.

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII

Link Copied to Clipboard