Next Thread
Print Thread
Sleeping High?
#15621 06/26/11 07:20 AM
K
Kati D Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Everyone I talk to about the Whitney climb tells me that it is absolutely crucial to acclimate. They tell me that it is best to sleep as high as I can before the hike. It's not that I don't agree, it's just that I have a one day permit and I don't know where I would be permitted to sleep. Can I sleep at the trailhead on the ground outside my car? (I have a Honda Accord, not a van.) Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Right now I have a motel room secured in Lone Pine at the Dow for 2 nights, but maybe I should cancel the night before the hike. Suggestions? Thanks, Kati
By the way, I know I am susceptible to altitude sickness. I hiked Gorgonio a few years ago and experienced severe headaches and vomiting. But then, I foolishly did not eat or drink enough while doing it. I'm much more informed now. I have secured some Diamox as well.

Re: Sleeping High?
Kati D #15628 06/26/11 10:13 AM
A
A
Do NOT sleep at the hotel before your hike. I'm susceptible to AMS like you, and Whitney will destroy your head if you head up without acclimating. I had severe AMS the first time I went up. It was so bad I couldn't even enjoy the summit by walking around and taking pictures. I sat there with my head in my hands and wondered if I could make it back down. You will make irrational, dangerous decisions in this state of mind.

If you have two days, spend it at the Portal or even better, the Horseshoe Meadows. The road there is reached from the Portal Road. It's ~10,000 ft. in elevation. There are plenty of spaces for camping there.

You cannot sleep on the ground outside your car at the Portal. Use the money you're saving from staying at the Dow and get an SUV/van rental, or a tent to camp at the Horseshoe Meadows. Cancel both days at the Dow. The Portal Motel right by the Portal Road in Lone Pine charges $5 for a shower if that's what you need.

If you're susceptible to AMS and go up Whitney, you just might kill yourself, no joking. Last thing you want is to stumble around like a drunk with a granite cliff greeting your mistake.

Anonymous1 #15630 06/26/11 11:32 AM
K
Kati D Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I so appreciate the quick reply. I have 1 concern: My permit for Whitney is on Sunday, July 31st--a weekend. I am afraid of the campground filling up at Horseshoe Meadows. What if it does??? Then what does a person do?

Kati D #15632 06/26/11 11:50 AM
Kati, I'm with atari on this - avoid sleeping in Lone Pine (3700 ft) before a dayhike of Whitney. If Gorgonio at 11.5K' nailed you with bad AMS, Whitney could be much worse. The Diamox should help, but acclimating properly will help more. You might also want to consider going on an aspirin regimen of two tablets a day (morning and evening) beginning a couple of days before your hike. ASA helps the blood oxygenate, which is a little trick I learned on this message board last year from a physician who's a member.

Sleeping as high as you can tolerate for at least one night, but preferably two, may be the one best thing you can do immediately prior to a hike like Whitney to help ensure your success. You didn't indicate where you live or when your hike is planned, but based upon your experience with Gorgonio I would strongly suggest you make it a priority to get as high as you can, as often as you can, prior to heading for Lone Pine. If an opportunity exists to camp/sleep high for a couple of weekends before your Whitney trip, try to do so. Given your AMS history at 11K', this should be your primary focus.

My one and only experience with AMS was on Whitney in '09. I had successfully - easily, even, - knocked off 13,000 & 14,000-foot peaks in the past without even an altitude twinge. All of those past experiences had involved sleeping at 7000-8000 feet, however. My first attempt at Whitney had me sleeping in LP because of the logistics of hauling camping gear across the country. Never again - I learned my lesson. 13,000 feet on Whitney is NOT where you want to have an AMS episode, especially if you're by yourself and it's severe.

The good news is that you know what AMS feels like and that you're susceptible. Treat it with a very healthy respect and plan accordingly (as with the Diamox), but don't let the fear of it distract you from the fun of the climb. Just be ready to bail immediately if that mild, background headache gets any worse or other symptoms appear. Best of luck and enjoy the experience!

Kati D #15633 06/26/11 12:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Kati D
I have 1 concern: My permit for Whitney is on Sunday, July 31st--a weekend. I am afraid of the campground filling up at Horseshoe Meadows. What if it does??? Then what does a person do?

Can you get up there on Friday? Not only would the second night help your acclimation, it gives you a much better opportunity to grab a good site. There are actually two campgrounds there and the sites are first-come, first-served, with no reservations allowed. Combined with the high altitude, it's a rare thing that all the sites are gone. Here's more info.

In the unlikely event you can't find a site at HM, sleeping in your vehicle at the Whitney Portal is regularly done by many. Not the best option, but better than sleeping at 3700 feet in Lone Pine. Recline the seat, snuggle into a bag, and do your best. I doubt if you'll have to resort to that, though. Get to HM on a Friday and you should be in good shape.

Remember also that with a dayhike you'll be getting that extra-early alpine start, so if you only stay the night prior to your hike, you're really not getting a full night of acclimation. If you could get to HM on Friday, sleep a night there, ramble around at elevation for a day, then get a few more hours sleep before rising at 1:00 or 2:00 am on Sunday the 31st, you'll be in eminently better shape for 14,500 feet.

Kati D #15635 06/26/11 12:15 PM
A
A
Katie, I think the whole permit, parking, etc thing is blown out of proportion. I've gone up there on a Labor Day weekend and got a permit without a problem. I went into the Visitor's Center at 11 AM on Friday for a Saturday permit, and including myself, there was probably just five other parties. Crowded, yes, Costco line for for a Polish dog or pizza, it is not. grin

The Horseshoe Meadows gets a fraction of the traffic of the Portal. You will not have a problem finding a space. I've been at the Horseshoes Meadows twice, and I've never seen more than two cars there, and it is a big place.

If you're really that concerned and want a plan C, get a hotel at the June Lakes area up North, or the town of Lee Vining (both near Yosemite's East entrance. The town itself is at an elevation of almost 7,000 ft.

Plan D is near Bishop at the South Lake Trailhead. That trailhead/parking spot is also near 10,000 ft. Can't help you anymore than that.

Last edited by 2600fromatari; 06/26/11 12:18 PM.
Anonymous1 #15644 06/26/11 03:41 PM
T
T
Last year I stayed the weekend at Horseshoe Meadows over labor day. There were plenty of sites.

Another choice is Onion Valley, but I can't speak too much about this location as I have never been.

And having been nailed by AMS on the switchbacks a couple of years ago, I make sure that I'll never get it again.

tdtz #15646 06/26/11 04:23 PM
Onion Valley is beautiful. Half of spots are reserveable, half are walk in. Stay there two nights, and you can do an acclimitizing hike up to Kearsarge Pass, or one of the lakes on the way. Really great place to stay before Whitney ... it's what I did last year.

If you want a hotel, one option I learned from someone else on this board is Rock Creek Lodge. I haven't been there yet, but this year I reserved at Rock Creek for my pre-Whitney acclimitization -- it is over 9000 feet, with great hikes available in Little Lakes Valley. There are other cabin rentals about 9000 feet off of 395 if you dig around. I recently stumbled across this one, 9200 feet, haven't been there though. http://parchersresort.net/ . Even staying at Mammoth is better than staying in Lone Pine.

NOTE: I now see (post posting) that you have a one day permit. That is a quandary, since you'll want to stay close to the trailhead the night before to get an early start. At least Onion Valley is only about 40 miles away (some winding roads though). I have to agree with others that one night (or two nights) in Lone Pine won't cut it-- will do virtually nothing for you. Best to get to the area a few days early, camp high, do some acclimitizing hikes that are even higher for a day or two before taking on Whitney.

Last edited by Akichow; 06/26/11 04:56 PM. Reason: Reviewed original post
Kati D #15666 06/26/11 10:21 PM
S
S
All the above are good answers. If it were me, I'd drive up and camp Friday night at Horseshoe Meadows. If you did not pick up the permit Friday, head down Saturday morning to pick it up (deadline is noon). Get a shower at the hostel if you want. (If you already got your permit Friday, stay at HM at least until noon, for more acclimation time.)

Head up to Whitney Portal, find a spot in the walk-in hiker campsites. If it is full, see if any occupants would mind sharing a spot.

Wake up and start the hike.

While you are hiking, you should drink about half a liter per hour! (If you don't need to "go" every few hours, you aren't drinking enough.) And have a snack at every water stop. With your altitude issues, you probably won't have an appetite above Trail Camp, so plan on snacking a lot heading up to that point. Take two, and maybe three liters of water when you head up beyond the last water at Trail Camp.

Good luck, and HAVE FUN!

Steve C #16493 07/17/11 07:06 PM
K
Kati D Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thank you all! I am going to stay at Cottonwood Lakes (Horseshoe Meadow) on Friday 7/29 and all day Saturday 7/30 to prepare for the Sunday 7/31 ascent. I also have Diamox on hand and will take it in very small doses before the hike. I'm pretty nervous but I am soo excited!!!
Thanks again,
Kati

Kati D #16494 07/17/11 07:27 PM
If you are going to take Diamox, it may be important to take before going to sleep, as sleep time poses a significant challenge to acclimatization (could not tell from your post if you were only planning to take in the day before hiking). Something to discuss with your doctor.

Kati D #16504 07/18/11 05:30 AM
J
J
It's good to hear you are planning on a couple of nights at HM as it will serve you well on Whitney. I understand your anxiety of not being able to get a site at HM (been there!) but you have to realize these are "walk in" sites that require one to transport there camping gear from the parking lot to their site so that pretty much eliminates the lazy types and the RV campers. Most of the campers I have talked to there are hikers and backpackers so you will amongst a friendly crowd for the most part.

Also, there's some easy hiking in the area that I would encourage you to take advantage of in order to help further acclimate. Last year I took a sandwich and some snacks, leisurely hiked about an hour, and ate by a stream and watched the trout dart around in the water. So relaxing!

"Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying" Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption
John P. #16528 07/18/11 03:57 PM
W
W
I've hiked with a ton of people who are susceptible to AMS and everyone them have different problems at different times. Me, I can day hike anywhere in SoCal without a problem. However, extend the time at elevation beyond 10 or 12 hours and I have had problems as low as 7,500'.

I have been taking Diamox for approximately 10 years. The benefit of the drug will vary from person to person and it may take a long time before you get a dosing regiment that works for you. I take Diamox before going above 8,500' for an extended period. Even while taking the drug I have yakked at Whitney Portal, had sleep problems above 11,000', appetite issue above 12,000' and tingling side effect problems most trips.

While taking Diamox I have gone up the mountain the same date and have acclimatized one day, both seem to work for me. Only time I acclimatized two days, I had my worst episode AMS...but this was in the pre-Diamox days.

Long story, short...I takes a while to find out what works for you.

Link Copied to Clipboard