Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 241 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What's the big deal about the OLD TRAIL??????
#17231 08/05/11 08:27 AM
OP Offline
Now.....(my own point of view)

Personally, I was introduced to the old trail last year and took it because Barb, Gary's wife had used it with a good reason. She wanted to bypass the water crossing because her young daughter and her wanted to wait for Gary and me to come down the trail. Those two went up the old trail and waited a bit up the trail for us after our summit. Barb was shown the trail by Betsy because she knew Barb had concerns about crossing the creek with her daughter, who wasn't comfortable with water at the time (she's a PRO now).

The reason I crossed (repeating what I said) is because it was new, my friends had a concern for their YOUNG daughter and yes, it was kind of a fun thing at the time. Maybe I'm alone at this, but why is everybody wanting to do the old trail, something very few people used a couple of years ago? Personally, I like going through the Wooden Structure of the trailhead because it feels more like you are starting at the "right" place....the beginning, and kind of a neat start with the structure, the signs, the people weighing their packs, pictures taken, etc.

And, I have a big concern about "newbies" trying to FIND the old trail. Just what is needed on Whitney.....Doug, Miles and Amy searching for more people who couldn't find their way, the rock, etc. I mean, even Tom, who has lots of hiking experience was man enough to admit, wow, I got lost trying to find it. As I read the questions from people who have never hiked Whitney on "how to find the trail", "where do I turn", what time of morning will I reach the rock".....it scares the crap out of me!!!!! If you've never hiked Whitney before, maybe you should start where everyone else is starting, cross an extremely easy creek to cross at this time of year......and follow the headlamps up. It's safer, easier, about 1/2 mile longer(appx.) and MUCH less chance Doug and the guys will be pulling off some ledge in the middle of some willows.

Opinions?????

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
Re: What's the big deal about the OLD TRAIL??????
quillansculpture #17232 08/05/11 08:30 AM
Bee Offline
The problem is that the "easy" creek has not been consistantly easy this season. THus, the rise in popularity of the old trail.

See my other commentary on the original "old trail thread" (these multiple single topic threads make it more confusing)

As far as are you on the correct trial or not, as Akichow mentioned: if you do not see a very obvious, well trod "trail" in front of you, than you are NOT on the old trail. No need for any scary adventures if you apply this credo.

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Bee #17234 08/05/11 08:34 AM
OP Offline
Bee, I PM'ed you. I do believe the crossing is easier than the risk you take getting lost on the Old Trail at 3:00 in the morning...... Sorry about the extra thread....Love ya!!!!

quillansculpture #17237 08/05/11 08:49 AM
One other note to add to Joe's comments about the old trail: it's not maintained any longer since the "new" trailhead went into play 30-plus years ago, so it's narrower and a little more rugged than than the initial section of the MMWT you would take if you started at the current marked trailhead. It's also a bit steeper. Still, it's better than what you'll see higher up on the MMWT. Personally, I think the trail is in great shape and easy to negotiate, especially to be un-maintained for so many years. I've hiked on much worse that were presumably groomed trails.

As to why I like it, it's all about avoiding that first water crossing of the North Fork. All the other water crossings along the MMWT are tame or very mild. The North Fork crossing is not particularly difficult under good circumstances, just long - but I'm always conscious of that cascading drop-off just a few feet away. A heavy overnight pack + high flow + a little bad luck at the wrong time could result in a bad day. There's still a helluva lotta snow to melt above, so I suspect the North Fork will be running high (at least in the afternoons) for most of the rest of the summer.

Re: What's the big deal about FREEDOM??????
quillansculpture #17260 08/06/11 02:59 PM
This was never about the money, this was about us against the system. That system that kills the human spirit. For that, we stand for something. We're here to show all those drones inching their way on the freeways in their metal coffins that the human spirit and adventure is still alive.

-- Bodhi, Point Break

quillansculpture #17261 08/06/11 03:05 PM
D
DUG Offline
D
The bid deal is I've taken the other trail so many times I want a change of pace. smile

Actually I've only ever used the old, new to me trail coming down. It's so dark when I go up there's nothing to see anyway................................DUG

DUG #17276 08/07/11 04:59 AM
W
W
I've been down it once in the 3 seasons. It saves time but it is a mess. I mostly come down it when there is snow, never up it...the main trail is mostly melted out or compacted making it easier on the way up.

I like the views from the start of the MMWT, which you lose by going up the old trail.

wbtravis #17281 08/07/11 08:14 AM
Joe -

I think your comments about the difficulties of finding the beginning of it are accurate. Someone showed me where it started, and even though I've used it many times since, unless I've been up it recently, I can still cast around a bit for the first hundred feet or two. Once on I find it pretty straight-forward. Definitely a more basic trail than the regular freeway-grade MWMT. I've always found it good shape. Am pretty sure "the Dougs" see to that, since Doug Sr. frequently scoots up when a hiker may be reported missing.

Trails are a highly personal preference, and I find I use it almost exclusively. When starting up Whitney, I like to get a jump on the substantial elevation ahead, and while I don't hike quickly, I've found that I can stretch my legs on this section, arriving at the junction ready to ease into the longer, less steep strides ahead. It can be a bit tricky on the way down as it's much steeper and the footing can be a bit slippery with granite "marbles", but I've found that by that time my feet as hurting, and rather than thinking about my feet I have to focus on footing, so it keeps my mind off them. Before I know it, I see the blacktop of the Portal ahead, and am looking forward to a cold adult beverage.

Last edited by KevinR; 08/07/11 08:15 AM.
quillansculpture #17284 08/07/11 08:45 AM
T
T
For me, the old trail isn't about the going up part, it's the coming down part. I've posted before how the part of the hike that kicks my butt the most (mentally at least) is the section between LPL and the Portal. Anything to make that last section shorter makes me happy.

Now, on the going up part....I'm really beginning to grow fond of my little notch shortcut. Makes the beginning of the hike a little more interesting.

If I could find a route that was like that the whole way, my son might actually join me. He seems to have an aversion to switchbacks. But throw in some climbing and he loves hiking. Now, if I could get him over the aversion to doing one's business in the great outdoors I might be able to get him to do an overnight trip.

And finally, it's nice to know that there are other options if needed. Just think, if any WHA member had been in the group that got stuck at the north fork last week, they would have been able to guide the group down.

One more comment about the condition of the trail, I didn't think it was that bad. Sure it's not as pristine as the MMWT, but I wouldn't have any issues going down (or up) at night.

tdtz #17286 08/07/11 09:33 AM
A
A
Originally Posted By: tdtz
For me, the old trail isn't about the going up part, it's the coming down part. I've posted before how the part of the hike that kicks my butt the most (mentally at least) is the section between LPL and the Portal. Anything to make that last section shorter makes me happy.

Now, on the going up part....I'm really beginning to grow fond of my little notch shortcut. Makes the beginning of the hike a little more interesting.

If I could find a route that was like that the whole way, my son might actually join me. He seems to have an aversion to switchbacks. But throw in some climbing and he loves hiking. Now, if I could get him over the aversion to doing one's business in the great outdoors I might be able to get him to do an overnight trip.

And finally, it's nice to know that there are other options if needed. Just think, if any WHA member had been in the group that got stuck at the north fork last week, they would have been able to guide the group down.

One more comment about the condition of the trail, I didn't think it was that bad. Sure it's not as pristine as the MMWT, but I wouldn't have any issues going down (or up) at night.

I went down this for the first time, and forgot to say thanks to you. I agree with everything said here. It's always nice to have another option. I was talking to my friend and we thought the trail was in great condition considering that it's not being maintained. Finding it is the hard part, but once you're on it, I don't see how you can get off track.

Anonymous1 #17289 08/07/11 10:34 AM
OP Offline
Doug took me up the Main Trail a bit a few weeks ago to find someones lost hiking poles. When we got up about 1/2 mile or so, he pointed out a section across the way and said, "you see that over there.....that's the two minute short cut". It wasn't the old trail, just some long slabs that he said get you back down in a hurry. He asked if I wanted to try it and I said I probably shouldn't as Bri, Gary's daughter was with me. Inside I was thinking, thank God Bri's with me!!!!!!

quillansculpture #17293 08/07/11 11:27 AM
T
T
Hey Joe....did it looks something like this?

if so, that's pretty much the route to the notch that drops you right next to the old trail trailhead.

Last edited by tdtz; 08/07/11 11:27 AM.
quillansculpture #17294 08/07/11 12:50 PM
Bee Offline
That was probably either the "Straight shot" shortcut or the "Doug's Shortcut". The first one (SS) will bring you right down to the Day Use parking lot. The second will bring you close to the JMW sign, whereas you can then take the "Old Trail" down to the Parking lot (so it depends how far along you were to figure out which short cut it was) SS involves some class 3 & and a narrow slot, while DS begins with a view of the North Fork and detour to a series of sandy scree slopes.

Not wanting to bother with the "straight Shot" at dusk, I challenged the group who did by running down the "Old Trail" to see if I could beat them. They arrived ahead of me & Steve C by about 15-20 min.*

* Steve C just reminded me that we had waited at the beginning of the Old Trail from about 15min before continuing our descent, sooooo....if you move quickly, using the Old Trail is about the same time (and a LOT easier, than using the "Straight Shot" shortcut.

Last edited by Bee; 08/08/11 06:05 AM.

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.

Link Copied to Clipboard