Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Whitney Conditions & Questions
#17311 08/08/11 09:22 AM
OP Offline
Hello All!

I am planning a climb to the summit of Whitney from Portal beginning Sunday Aug 14th and ending Monday Aug 15th. I have a party of 5.

We have been hearing all this discussion that there is still snow and crazy conditions on the trail.

Have a few questions and anyone can feel free to answer any and all.

1) Do the conditions currently require (or even recommend) the use of crampons? and if so, where would be the best place to rent those in Lone Pine? Ice axe?

2) Have the logs been fixed along the river crossing sections?

3) What is the adjusted time of ascent for Whitney with these conditions?

If anyone has any other recommendations or updates on the trail or recent trail reports, those would be much appreciated!

Re: Whitney Conditions & Questions
Danielisawesome #17312 08/08/11 09:22 AM
OP Offline
Oh! And one more thing!

How deep is the snow (in feet) ?

Danielisawesome #17317 08/08/11 10:59 AM
G
G
Originally Posted By: Danielisawesome
Hello All!

I am planning a climb to the summit of Whitney from Portal beginning Sunday Aug 14th and ending Monday Aug 15th. I have a party of 5.

We have been hearing all this discussion that there is still snow and crazy conditions on the trail.

Have a few questions and anyone can feel free to answer any and all.

1) Do the conditions currently require (or even recommend) the use of crampons? and if so, where would be the best place to rent those in Lone Pine? Ice axe?

2) Have the logs been fixed along the river crossing sections?

3) What is the adjusted time of accent for Whitney with these conditions?

If anyone has any other recommendations or updates on the trail or recent trail reports, those would be much appreciated!

Can't speak to current conditions. I summitted on July 19th. Was glad to have an ice axe although most people crossed the snow with just trekking poles. Crampons would have been overkill. If you're coming from the north, Wilson's eastside sports in Bishop is a good place to rent. There is likely less snow now than when I summited. Nevertheless, even if there is snow, it will not likely have much of an effect on your time to the summit. It occurs only in patches in a few places. Acclimitization to altitude and our physical condition will be much bigger factors.

Danielisawesome #17319 08/08/11 11:21 AM
S
S
Don't take crampons or ice axes. The remaining snow is minimal. It is so packed, the depth doesn't matter -- you walk on top of hard snow.

The logs have been fixed, so that water crossing is dry.

Your ascent time depends on your abilities and acclimation. It will not be affected by water crossings or snow.

Here's the latest trip report: Overnight Whitney Trip Aug. 4th-5th

Steve C #17356 08/09/11 12:41 PM
S
S
I climbed Whitney yesterday. It was a GREAT bluebird day! This is my second time and got lucky with the weather conditions both times.

No crampons necesary, especially if it's a nice day out. The snow is waist deep, but a nice path exists. The toughest part is climbing up/down over the rocks leading to the snow, but it is manageable. I saw a few people with minor cuts and bruises from hitting rocks, however, no one in my group had trouble (and I'm 5'3").

The logs have been fixed. YAY!! You will have water crossings and I got wet 2x, but only one shoe. First water crossing at about .5 to 1 mile from the trailhead. I did not get my shoes wet on the way up but did so on the way down. You can avoid it altogether by taking the old trail up. We went for it. Also, just past Outpost Camp, there is a water crossing and I got one shoe wet. Pack an extra pair of socks and you will be fine. the weather was hot so it wasn't terrible. I changed my sock at trail camp and continued on. The taller folks in my group did not get their shoes wet (and I cursed them for being tall smile

The conditions do not necessarily delay your ascent. You just need to take your time crossing the water.

I have pics of the log crossing and the snow. I will see if I can figure out how to post.

Remember to take your time climbing up. You can be in the best of shape, however, if you ascend too quickly, you will burn out and/or suffer from altitude sickness. It's not worth it! Have fun and good luck!!

SoCalHiker #17362 08/09/11 03:43 PM
H
H
Our group summited on 8/8. I did not carry microspikes but those in our group who used them on Forester pass did not use them on Whitney snow patch on summit approach or smaller area on east side. Cable area is clear.

Link Copied to Clipboard