Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 207 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Giardia hits home
#18843 09/30/11 07:33 AM
D
DUG Offline OP
OP Offline
D
We have confirmed and one suspected case of giardia here at my place. Contamination source was not water, but as a result of sticking a nose where it didn't belong. I just picked up the meds from the vet for the first case and a specimen container aka poop tube for the other possible victim. We just moved into our new place and the pooper scooper hadn't been unpacked yet otherwise it would have been contained to just Whitney the new puppy.

I didn't know dogs could get giardia....................DUG

Re: Giardia hits home
DUG #18845 09/30/11 08:39 AM
Hey DUG, giardia is pretty common out here for dogs. I worked with a kennel in Riverside that didn't even use tap water for their dogs. I thought that was a little overboard, as the water out here shouldn't (and doesn't) carry giardia. I just change my dogs water everyday.
Dogs can get it if they find dirty, contaminated or stagnant water along the trail or even gutters, etc.
A couple of moths ago, my friend had giardia go through both his dogs, so either they found the same source of water or they passed it through contact. Your vet will get it stopped fast. If you want any info on what you need to look out for here in the Temecula Valley, take a cruise over to AFV, Animal Friends of the Valley in Wildomar. They have tons of info, flyers, etc. If you're in a new home, you should make sure your dogs are chipped for identification and keep them inside at night as we have lots of Coyotes out here who love tasty treats like small dogs and puppies.

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
quillansculpture #18846 09/30/11 08:59 AM
D
DUG Offline OP
OP Offline
D
The source of the giardia here was our new rescue pup - Whitney. I'm pretty sure my other dog picked it up (waiting on lab results) from improper sniffage of puppy waste.

I emailed the rescue to let them know, but I haven't heard back. We have never had any illnesses here, not even fleas or ticks. My friends like to give me a hard time and tell me my dogs have better health care then they do. Worst case is all three of the little dogs will end up with it. I doubt the Dalmation will since she is fenced off from their play yard.

Usually we are a lot quicker at scooping, but we were in the middle of a move and the scooper was misplaced.

Whitney is on meds, specimen tube for Connie is dropped off and now I'm packing to take scouts up Sanny J via Marion Mountain in the morning. Dogs and scouting - life is pretty good sometimes...............................DUG

DUG #18849 09/30/11 10:39 AM
Dug,

I've never known any dogs to get giardia. Did you discover the giardia by taking your dogs in for their annual checkup or were you prompted to take them to the vet because they appeared to be not feeling well? I'm just curious to know if there are symptoms to look for in a dog with giardia.

Is giardia in a dog curable?

I thought if a person got giardia they would have it the rest of their life. I thought it lies dormant in a person's body for a long time, but then flares up occassionally so I thought this would be true for a dog too.

Lynnaroo
lynn-a-roo #18851 09/30/11 11:19 AM
D
DUG Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted By: lynn-a-roo
Dug,

I've never known any dogs to get giardia. Did you discover the giardia by taking your dogs in for their annual checkup or were you prompted to take them to the vet because they appeared to be not feeling well? I'm just curious to know if there are symptoms to look for in a dog with giardia.

Is giardia in a dog curable?

I thought if a person got giardia they would have it the rest of their life. I thought it lies dormant in a person's body for a long time, but then flares up occassionally so I thought this would be true for a dog too.

Lynn - We rescued a Toy Fox Terrier puppy last Sunday. Monday we took her to the vet for a well puppy check and to get her info entered into the vet's computer. The doc said she overall looked healthy but her lungs sounded "wheezy". After factoring in her previous living arrangements at the rescue he sent home a specimen tube to have things checked out. He also told us to monitor her stool and to advise if she picked up a cough.

The sample came back positive for giardia and while waiting for the results we noticed a looser stool. Unrelated to that she picked up a night time cough (like she had a hair ball) that progressed into a cough while running (chasing) the other dogs.

I picked up meds for both this morning. My other Toy Fox Terrier had some loose stool so I took in a sample of that a few hours later.

The giardia is treated with a four day medication that she gets once a day. The main symptoms to look for in a dog would be upset stomach (eating grass, not appearing to feel well) and loose stool.

We caught Whitney's before any symptoms because the vet wanted to run tests on a stool sample for all the puppy mill/rescue/kennel dog stuff because of her history...................DUG

DUG #18852 09/30/11 11:31 AM
Whitney...giardia...

Why do I think Bob R. is smiling at this unlikely pairing after all the articles he has written?

Anyhow, speedy recovery...poor things...

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #18853 09/30/11 11:46 AM
D
DUG Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted By: + @ti2d
Whitney...giardia...

Why do I think Bob R. is smiling at this unlikely pairing after all the articles he has written?

Anyhow, speedy recovery...poor things...

LOL - I didn't think about that!

My wife gets to handle the sick dog(s) for the weekend. I'm leaving to take the scout troop up Sanny J. Base camp in Idylwild and then up the Marion Mountain trail in the morning. Nice and steep - they'll love it. Or hate me..............DUG

DUG #18855 09/30/11 01:21 PM
C
C
Giardia is common here in Colorado. My vet gave my dog an initial shot for giardia and then a follow up booster. That was a couple of years ago and I thought it was wise to get the 2 shot series since she frequently drinks from streams and lakes as do most dogs. I was pleased that the dog did not get any giardia symptoms until I went back a year later for the annual giardia shot and the vet told me that the canine giardia shots had not proven to be very satisfactory & the vet was not giving them anymore as she considered it a waste of time and money.

So, I guess I have been lucky that my 8 dogs I have owned over 50 years have not had giardia symptoms as far as I know.

I do not know if Calif vets think giardia shots are of any value, but you might inquire.

Link Copied to Clipboard