Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 219 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
shepherd pass to mt whitney....advice??
#21338 02/08/12 05:25 PM
N
OP Offline
N
Hello out there! I just wanted some advice on my plan for doing a through hike from shepherd pass to mt whitney. I plan on starting my trip june 18th and summiting on june 21st or 22nd. Given the "lighter" snow year....so far, and given all the very experienced mt whitney summiters here on this forum, can i possibly get some advice on whether i may run into snow and ice conditions for this time frame??I of course, expect at least some snow and ice....but hope i dont run into issues with completing the backpack trip, without too many compications... I would appreciate any and all advice anyone has for me. I do have an ice axe, and micro spikes and good waterproof boots. Thanks

"With each failure, you take another step towards success as long as you don't ever give up"
Re: shepherd pass to mt whitney....advice??
Norcalhiker67 #21345 02/10/12 06:02 AM
W
W
I would not do this without full crampons and self arrest and belay skills. It's not worth the risk of having to turn back because you did not carry an extra pound of steel or because of pucker.

No one knows what conditions will be like in June in mid-February. We can have a series of late storms plus a cold spring or it can be dry between now and then.

Norcalhiker67 #21348 02/10/12 06:56 AM
S
S
I made that hike late July, 2004, and spent the third night on the summit of Mt. Whitney. Got this great sunset picture:

If this dry winter continues, you will be lucky to even step on snow. Or what wbtravis said above. Watch trip reports and weather between now and your trip.

The place to keep in mind is the south side of Forrester Pass. But I doubt this year it will be significant at all. The north side is gentle, so even in snow is no trouble. The south side is blasted out of a cliff, so with a major load of snow, could be dicey.

Norcalhiker67 #21359 02/10/12 11:52 AM
Originally Posted By: Norcalhiker67
Hello out there! I just wanted some advice on my plan for doing a through hike from shepherd pass to mt whitney. I plan on starting my trip june 18th and summiting on june 21st or 22nd. Given the "lighter" snow year....so far, and given all the very experienced mt whitney summiters here on this forum, can i possibly get some advice on whether i may run into snow and ice conditions for this time frame??I of course, expect at least some snow and ice....but hope i dont run into issues with completing the backpack trip, without too many compications... I would appreciate any and all advice anyone has for me. I do have an ice axe, and micro spikes and good waterproof boots. Thanks

Howdy, norcal (yosemiteforlife?)! smile

Regardless of snow that falls during the winter months, June can still be quite unpredictable, similar to October. 2009 was a low snow year overall, but it snowed in the high country for almost 3 weeks starting that Memorial Day, and only let up over the same weekend you list as your travel dates. That weekend (in 09), I tried to get my dad up the Main trail, and we turned just above the cables due to snow and "I'm past my comfort level" with crampons and such.

Likewise, the Tyndall Basin beyond Shepherds Pass can be a quite loverly suncup ocean, leading to some fun postholing and slip n slide. But who knows?

Steve is right, in that you may not step on snow, but the north facing headwall of Shepherds almost always carries a least a short snow patch with a well-formed boot-track, which may be icy. I would ONLY recommend microspikes if you have experience using them on varied terrain (you didn't mention here or on SP if you had that sort of experience). Crampons/axe/ability to use them are essential skillz, but risk-taking is a personal option. I hesitate to say that I've started using spikes more often, but its a personal comfort level that aids in the decision making. YMMV.

-L cool

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
Norcalhiker67 #21367 02/10/12 02:17 PM
Quote:
The place to keep in mind is the south side of Forrester Pass. But I doubt this year it will be significant at all. The north side is gentle, so even in snow is no trouble. The south side is blasted out of a cliff, so with a major load of snow, could be dicey.

Just wanted to point out that this route does not cross Forester.

RoguePhotonic #21368 02/10/12 02:36 PM
S
S
> Just wanted to point out that this route does not cross Forester.

Oh, you're right! Thanks for that.

Steve C #21444 02/13/12 05:52 PM
N
OP Offline
N
well, i have reserved my permit, for june 27th entry date out of shepherd pass TH, summit day of july 1st. I'm looking forward to a great adventure......anyone have information on the shuttle..??

"With each failure, you take another step towards success as long as you don't ever give up"
Norcalhiker67 #21447 02/13/12 08:58 PM
S
S
> ..anyone have information on the shuttle..??

When I attempted that trip years ago, my buddy and I hired a guy who lived in Independence to drive us. It was expen$ive. The road into the Shepherd Pass trail head was pretty rough. I think it still is.

You wouldn't have any trouble hitch hiking from Whitney Portal down to Lone Pine, and maybe up to Independence. But the road off the Onion Valley road would require walking, or paying someone.

Shuttle services come and go, but there are some to try calling in the Orientation Notes (Link above on the left). Search for "shuttle" on that page.

Steve C #21494 02/15/12 09:16 PM
N
OP Offline
N
thanks steve, i do have the information on the local shuttle service that is available in the lone pine area. I also wanted to mention, as far as snow gear, and experience...i do have some snow shoes, and and I HAVE used them, but i will have to get some practice or some education on the microspikes and ice axe. This is just in case i may need these tools when I go. I guess when it gets closer, i can determine what i need, and prepare. From what i have read, it actually may be worse for me, to use the spikes on steep terrain and my good water proof boots may be better. The ice axe, even though i have not had the chance to use it quite yet, and in regards to "self arrest" i am familiar with at least some basic moves to stop myself from sliding too far down an icy slope and slowing my speed. I wanted to thank everyone who has had a say and thrown some words of wisdom or assistance. I am looking forward to the trip.

Link Copied to Clipboard