Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Two Firsts in One Trip
#24026 05/16/12 08:25 AM
M
OP Offline
M
I'll be in Ft.Bragg, just outside of Fayattville . Playing Army.

MichaelRyanSD #24028 05/16/12 08:46 AM
CaT Offline
Would that be Fayetteville?

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)
CaT #24029 05/16/12 08:59 AM
M
OP Offline
M
yeah thats what I meant

MichaelRyanSD #24030 05/16/12 09:02 AM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
YOU CAN'T GO ROUNT THIS HEYA PLACE MISPELLIN AND SUCH!

#24031 05/16/12 09:31 AM
If Adam leaves my state without even one climb with me I might shoot myself. frown

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #24032 05/16/12 09:42 AM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
Originally Posted By: MooseTracks
If Adam leaves my state without even one climb with me I might shoot myself. frown

OH, we'll get one in for sure. I bet you'll just wait for the right moment to push me off a cliff.

Dead!

#24034 05/16/12 10:03 AM
M
OP Offline
M
There is certainly some spots after trail crest where such an "accident" might occur.

MichaelRyanSD #24035 05/16/12 10:06 AM
M
OP Offline
M
One quick question, I was contemplating doing this again mid-week or so, before I leave. I realized when I got on the trail, that there was probably about a 80% no show rate, I only saw 20-30 people on my three days there.

But if I wanted to do another 2-3 day trip, how would I get overnight permits for that, I mean, how could they issue over-night permits 2-3 days in advance of dates people had reserved. And I in essence would be taking their spot in their absence.

MichaelRyanSD #24040 05/16/12 11:26 AM
S
S
Originally Posted By: MichaelRyanSD
One quick question, I was contemplating doing this again mid-week or so, before I leave. I realized when I got on the trail, that there was probably about a 80% no show rate, I only saw 20-30 people on my three days there.

But if I wanted to do another 2-3 day trip, how would I get overnight permits for that, I mean, how could they issue over-night permits 2-3 days in advance of dates people had reserved. And I in essence would be taking their spot in their absence.

You need an overnight permit ONLY for your ENTRY date. The number of nights you stay does not matter and is not considered. So you go to the Rec.gov site, and watch for a slot to open where some very nice and considerate people will cancel their reservation, or release some of their slots. You can reserve one of those slots and you are good to go.

If that doesn't work, you show up at the Visitor Center at 11 AM and try to get a no-show permit from those permits where people who did not cancel or reduce their permit numbers. In the past, it has been fairly easy to get a no-show permit, but with the new system this year, we will see.

When you show up to request a walk-in permit, ask for BOTH a current day entry, and a next day entry. The next day entry would be from last-minute cancellations not available on the web, and from group size reductions from people who have already picked up their permit.

MichaelRyanSD #24044 05/16/12 12:53 PM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
I'd imagine, mid-week, you'd have no problem getting a walk-in permit

#24045 05/16/12 12:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Burchey
I'll most likely be living near Asheville next year this time. No es porque no me gustan los mexicanos, sin embargo. Quiero vivir cerca de la familia. Way to set a goal and attain it. The mountains in NC will prove to be much less of a challenge I'm sure.

Adam, what you'll gain in oxygen saturation might be offset by the damn summer humidity. Trust me - a 125-degree heat index at 5000' will suck the strength from you as badly as 13,000' in the Sierra. AMS won't be a concern but heat stroke will. You trade one monkey on your back for another, at least in summer - thin air for thick air.

If/when it happens, look up John (catpappy) and myself. We're in Atlanta, just 3 hours hours south of Asheville, and try to get up into the Appalachians and Blue Ridge fairly regularly. This hike is coming up for us in the next couple of weeks, and is representative of the upper-end elevation gains you'll find here:

http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/sterling_baxter_creek.htm

Other than the elevation, I think you'll find the biggest difference in the trails out here versus the west is the steepness. Trail designers out here apparently didn't get the switchback memo till a couple dozen years ago. Gains of 1000 feet-per-mile are common, and stretches of 1300 fpm not that unusual. Each year 25% or more of Appalachian Trail through-hikers quit before they're out of Georgia (the first 75 miles of the AT), mostly because of underestimating the steepness and ruggedness of the trail. And the AT is the one of the easier mountain trails in GA and NC.

Yes, technical climbing is limited in these parts - severely, compared to the Sierra. But it is there. The good news is that NC has more technical climbing opportunities than anywhere else for hundreds and hundreds of miles.

Laura's even made some noise recently about adding a Mount Mitchell notch to her belt. If you guys don't hook up for a climb before you leave, maybe that'll give her the motivation to finally head east with her gear. I'd pay good money to see that go down . . .

Bulldog34 #24049 05/16/12 01:34 PM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
Originally Posted By: Bulldog34

Adam, what you'll gain in oxygen saturation might be offset by the damn summer humidity. Trust me - a 125-degree heat index at 5000' will suck the strength from you as badly as 13,000' in the Sierra. AMS won't be a concern but heat stroke will. You trade one monkey on your back for another, at least in summer - thin air for thick air.

If/when it happens, look up John (catpappy) and myself. We're in Atlanta, just 3 hours hours south of Asheville, and try to get up into the Appalachians and Blue Ridge fairly regularly. This hike is coming up for us in the next couple of weeks, and is representative of the upper-end elevation gains you'll find here:

http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/sterling_baxter_creek.htm

Other than the elevation, I think you'll find the biggest difference in the trails out here versus the west is the steepness. Trail designers out here apparently didn't get the switchback memo till a couple dozen years ago. Gains of 1000 feet-per-mile are common, and stretches of 1300 fpm not that unusual. Each year 25% or more of Appalachian Trail through-hikers quit before they're out of Georgia (the first 75 miles of the AT), mostly because of underestimating the steepness and ruggedness of the trail. And the AT is the one of the easier mountain trails in GA and NC.

Yes, technical climbing is limited in these parts - severely, compared to the Sierra. But it is there. The good news is that NC has more technical climbing opportunities than anywhere else for hundreds and hundreds of miles.

Laura's even made some noise recently about adding a Mount Mitchell notch to her belt. If you guys don't hook up for a climb before you leave, maybe that'll give her the motivation to finally head east with her gear. I'd pay good money to see that go down . . .

I'll do my best to look you guys up, and I'm no stranger to summer humidity and how bad it gets - I'm from Ohio, and often took summer trips to the South. I'll probably be doing most of my troublemaking in the snow/ice of winter, I've seen some opportunities for ice climbing in NC, etc.

I've got a buddy on the AT right now, I think he's up to Virginia at this point. He climbed a rickety old tower like that on Shuckstack or something, I believe. If MichaelRyanSD moves out to NC, perhaps we can get Laura to travel, and we'll all run around together in the hills being racist with a big American flag. Sounds like a date to me!

#24053 05/16/12 02:13 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Uh, why bring an American Flag? If your going to do something worth doing, don't half ass it smile

I'll be whistling dixie entire time, while carrying one of these bad boys

MichaelRyanSD #24056 05/16/12 02:29 PM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
Originally Posted By: MichaelRyanSD
don't half ass it

I love that phrase

Bulldog34 #24078 05/17/12 07:16 AM
Originally Posted By: Bulldog34

Ahem... when do I ever "make noise"... <chuckle>

Burchey, baby-doll, precious, come and get your fragile flower. I'm dying to play.

Especially since now you know how to make fire.

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #24082 05/17/12 08:17 AM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
Originally Posted By: MooseTracks
Ahem... when do I ever "make noise"... <chuckle>

Burchey, baby-doll, precious, come and get your fragile flower. I'm dying to play.

Especially since now you know how to make fire.

Careful Laura, you need to work on your game. I need to chase, and you sound like you're not running any more. I might lose interest.

Also, if my girlfriend reads this, she'll probably kill me and you and half the board members. This is one of the reasons I love her.

#24083 05/17/12 08:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Burchey
Careful Laura, you need to work on your game. I need to chase, and you sound like you're not running any more. I might lose interest.

I was just giving you a few minutes to catch up. wink

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard