Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Half Dome.....
#24395 05/27/12 07:39 PM
OP Offline
I know its not Mt. Whitney, but what the hell smile

Decided to give it a go on the first day the cables were up. Just beat the weather, made for some fun photos though.......

Re: Half Dome.....
calicokat #24452 05/28/12 10:48 PM
C
C
Beautiful pics; thanks for sharing!!

Chris B #24457 05/29/12 06:22 AM
B
B
Lovely composition.

calicokat #24465 05/29/12 09:34 AM
E
E
Amazing photos! Thanks for posting!

"If you're gonna be stupid, you've got to be tough."
calicokat #24524 05/31/12 10:50 AM
Ugly photos. "J & J Photography" phrase spoils everything.

calicokat,

Do you need to put your watermarks even on low resolution photos?

Last edited by Yury; 05/31/12 10:51 AM.
Yury #24528 05/31/12 01:28 PM
OP Offline
Well, these photos come directly from Smugmug, so even though they are low res, they are re-sized from Smugmug. I photograph and sell wedding photos which is big money and those photos get watermarked and protected at my request by Smugmug. I can ask Smugmug to only watermark certain photos I suppose. I have been doing it so long I never pay attention to it anymore :o

calicokat #24531 05/31/12 01:47 PM
Calicokat:

They are your photographs that fall under "intellectual property" and you are entitled to watermark them whenever you want.

Excellent photos...

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #24532 05/31/12 02:29 PM
Originally Posted By: + @ti2d
Calicokat: They are your photographs that fall under "intellectual property" and you are entitled to watermark them whenever you want.
Yes, Calicokat is entitled to put watermarks on his photographs. And it definitely makes sense for high resolution images.

However even professional photographers often put less obtrusive signatures on the low resolution versions of their photos. Nobody can prevent Calicokat to use Smugmug for commercial photos and another site for low resolution images with less prominent signature/watermark/copyright.

Yury #24536 05/31/12 03:52 PM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
Originally Posted By: Yury
Yes, Calicokat is entitled to put watermarks on his photographs. And it definitely makes sense for high resolution images.

However even professional photographers often put less obtrusive signatures on the low resolution versions of their photos. Nobody can prevent Calicokat to use Smugmug for commercial photos and another site for low resolution images with less prominent signature/watermark/copyright.

Yury - just because you have plenty of time to sit around eating cashews and watching reruns of The View, postulating whether Captain Kirk (had he lived in Thousand Oaks) would have had horse property or not, dividing up your photos between several hosting sites JUST to satisfy the desire of some random forum member to have a less intrusive watermark on a low-res photo - all the while somehow managing not to get laid...doesn't mean the rest of us do.

My suggestion would be to remove that rather large pine cone from where it rests. True, no one can prevent Jim from posting his photos to several different websites, much in the same way that no one can prevent a person from typing pointless things on an online forum.

#24539 05/31/12 04:01 PM
OP Offline
I appreciated the suggestion to get two different hosting sites to accomodate those who don't mind there is a watermark and those who are bothered by it, but I just don't have the time. I have a hard enough time posting watermark photos frown

calicokat #24541 05/31/12 04:28 PM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
Originally Posted By: calicokat
I appreciated the suggestion to get two different hosting sites to accomadate those who don't mind there is a watermark and those who are bothered by it, but I just don't have the time. I have a hard enough time posting watermark photos frown

No!!!!!! Your efforts are not sufficient!!!!! Waste more of your personal time than you already are putting up shots of your trips - I need to see them in Sepia and upside down and in that one psychedelic horrible 4-quadrant version that spits out of facebook/iphoto/something.

#24543 05/31/12 05:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Burchey

<wipes computer screen>

OMG, I'm crying...

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #24557 05/31/12 10:59 PM
W
W
Some things in life are not to be understood . . .

calicokat #24561 06/01/12 08:46 AM
CaT Offline
Calicokat,

We often post Half Dome (and other mountain) related stuff here, even though it's a "Whitney" message board.

I think your pics are amazing, regardless of the watermark (which I just ignore and "see through"). Thanks very much for posting them. I can only imagine the patience you had to have while waiting for the "just right" conditions to occur in order to get some of those pics with the clouds.

As a friendly reminder to everyone, while allowing for the free flow of information and opinions as much as possible, we also endeavor to make everyone feel welcome, especially those who are new to this board. Please keep that in mind when you post.

CaT

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)
CaT #24596 06/01/12 10:28 PM
I love the photos of Half Dome...they bring back memories of a time when I hiked up the cables with no more than a dozen people on the cables at the same time as me.

CaT ...thank you for your input...I look forward to reading what people have to say on the WZ...There s a tool called preview my post at the bottom of each post...it might be good for us All to preview our post before we submit...I believe we all know when we are saying things that will hurt others...it is so avoidable.

Lynnaroo
#24609 06/02/12 07:30 PM
B
B
Burchey, 10 points! Well done!

Brent N

calicokat #24619 06/03/12 10:49 AM
Calicokat,

As usual, beautiful photography!

calicokat #24640 06/04/12 06:04 AM
D
D
Nice photos love the lighting .

lynn-a-roo #24643 06/04/12 07:28 AM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
Free flow of ideas and such is the best. I think the last thing we'd want to do is discourage others, especially newbies, from asking questions about items regarding safety in the mountains, or questions that might enrich a person's trip into the hills from a beta standpoint.

That being said, I feel we should discourage others from writing things that don't make any sense, or add nothing to the conversation... also known as about 75% of the posts on a typical online forum.

I don't actually believe Yuri is sitting around consuming legumes and drooling over Joy Behar - what is without arguement, however, is that he insulted the posted pictures for no reason, and then followed it up with a ridiculous request.

That - I cannot abide.

One note: for those that are concerned, I not only previewed this post 3-4 times, I pondered the effect it would have on not only the online community, but the rest of the population of southern CA.

#24651 06/04/12 11:50 AM
CaT Offline
As a brief addition to my most recent post above, I offer the fact that I learned, early on, that there are always at least two (or more) ways to say the same thing.

A wise and caring person will hopefully endeavor to choose the way that
- reconciles rather than divides,
- comes alongside as a friend rather than accuses or stands opposed as an adversary,
- mentions something good even when pointing out a flaw, and
- offers criticism in a helpful constructive way rather than as using a blunt instrument.

I could go on with these, but you get the idea.

Without dragging out our posting guidelines, I offer the above in the spirit in which those guidelines were drafted, and am optimistic that everyone on this message board will continue to approach their posting with this in mind.

Thanks.

CaT

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard