Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mt. Whitney Main Trail trip report 6/9-6/11
#25047 06/13/12 11:36 AM
P
OP Offline
P
I posted this in the Portal Store Website, but figured I would post this here too...

So before I go any further let me tell you about my mind set. Last year my son had seen a news report about a 7 year old boy summiting Whitney (Tyler Armstrong), he told me he wanted to do it too. I had done a bunch of research and entered the lottery and got our entry date of June 9th. While talking to people though, a lot of people told us we wouldn't make it with the little guy, it was too hard, too high, and he wouldn't do well with the elevation. I was at REI and one of the employees there who has been to the top on 4 separate occasions told me not to expect to get past Outpost camp and if I was lucky Trail Camp with my son. But not to sleep there because it was all rock and nobody would get any sleep because of the altitude and wind. He was sure we wouldn't get to the top so we shouldn't get out hopes up. All I heard was negativity about bringing my son to the Mt. Whitney.

On top of everything else I picked up a nasty chest cold the week before we were supposed to leave. So my head was filled with doubt. After talking with my wife we decided we would Camp at the Whitney Portal Campground on Friday and then do as we were told, camp out Outpost camp, maybe hike to Trail camp, but that is about it. So that was the plan.

We got to the Lone Pine Ranger station on Friday 6/8 to pick up our permit. My son thought the place was really cool with all the interactive stuff to do. Gotta say the Rangers were really nice offering advice about traveling up to a higher altitude with our little dude. We got our permit and wag bags and off we went. Stopped at the store next to look around and walk around the area, then we got to our spot at the campground.

The Whitney Portal Campground was probably one of the nicest, cleanest, most well kept campgrounds I have ever been too. We were right near a stream and we saw some people fish so I got the poles ready and my son and wife were both able to catch quite a few fish. In fact, it was the first time my son had ever caught a fish out of a stream, let a lone five of them. My wife was able to catch her first fish from a stream too. Before that the only time my son caught a fish was at some trout pools, so it doesn't count...same with my wife.

After a wonderful night at the campground we got an early start on the trail, I think we left at 7:00AM. Had the bags packed and ready to go.

At Outpost Camp we had some lunch and my son was still ready for more. We all felt great, no signs of altitude sickness, so we figured heck might as well. So we continued on.

We got to Trail Camp later that day after seeing some amazing views. We had some Mountain House Lasagna and some other food and knocked out pretty early. I woke up first the next day got some coffee ready, my wife got up next and we both figured we would hang out around Trail Camp for a bit and maybe head down to Lone Pine Lake or Outpost Camp. That is until my son woke up and said "Okay, lets go up top."

After some breakfast and making sure we had plenty of water and snacks we hit the switch backs. My son did great, my only concern was when we hit the cables. A little sketchy for a little dude, but he made it.

At trail crest the view was awesome and my son got to see his first marmot. We stopped and took a break. We also ran into a couple who were slowly working their way up as well. We ended up with two more in our party after that. I have to say, you meet some fantastic people on the trail.

After what seemed to be miles, we got to a section where we had to cross some snow. This worked out great because my wife had already sucked down 3 liters of water. So I put some snow in her camelback and added some of my water, then held it under my shirt to try get it to melt. At this point I had only gone through maybe 1.5 liters. So I was still okay. A few long minutes later we made it to the top. We took a well deserved break, my son feasted on our new friends beef jerky and hummus. Some of the smarter folks up top had subway sandwiches and beers....I know what to do next time.

Headed down a little later, ran out of water in my camelback on switchback 50 on the way down. I was sharing with my son as he was out too. I did have a gatorade bottle full of melting snow so I wasn't too worried. My son with his small legs was taking his time, so my wife went ahead so she could get some water ready and some food. We got back to trail camp ate, drank and slept.

The next day we got up bright and early as usual, packed up all of our stuff, I was the lucky guy who got to carry the wag bags....and we headed down. Took a few breaks but made it to the store just past lunch time for some monster burgers and fries.

Needless to say, we are two very proud parents. My whole family far surpassed what I thought they could/would do. Now my son is trying to think of where to go next. He is open to suggestions.

As for the naysayers....pffft, we made it.

Re: Mt. Whitney Main Trail trip report 6/9-6/11
pretendingtowork #25049 06/13/12 11:46 AM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
Originally Posted By: pretendingtowork

These pictures are all fake/photoshopped

#25050 06/13/12 12:01 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted By: Burchey

Getting the color right on the trout was the hardest part.:)

pretendingtowork #25051 06/13/12 12:05 PM
A
A
Awesome! People don't give the little dudes and dudettes enough credit. I've found that they have the energy to tackle almost anything the adults can do as long as they think it's fun. Congrats on making it to the top, but also doing it with a smile on your faces.

Take him to Langley next. It's comparable to the MT on Whitney, and more scenic IMO. You might also want to try some of the easier mountains by Bishop like Agassiz which have even better views, and he'll be able to see his first glacier?

Yosemite has Lyell, Dana + Gibss, etc...all fine hikes that aren't too dangerous for your son.

pretendingtowork #25052 06/13/12 12:15 PM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
Originally Posted By: Burchey

Well played!

Seriously, looks like a great time with the family, glad it all worked out.

#25060 06/13/12 04:18 PM
G
G
Congratulations! Especially to your son, that's a huge deal. My boy just turned two, and I'm dying to get him into hiking with me in the coming years. You're a lucky guy.

One day I'd like to hike the entire John Muir Trail and not leave a single footprint. -Randy Morgenson
pretendingtowork #25077 06/13/12 09:47 PM
C
C
Congrats to you all; very awesome and inspiring. There are always plenty of people ready to put down, so I'm glad you worked through it and could feel the joy of success. It's all about knowing your limits and seeing how far you can go!

My oldest turns three in a couple of weeks, and she's just started hiking with me. I'm very much looking forward to going from the mile hikes to the backpacking (not to say I don't cherish our little hikes now, though!). There are few things in nature more satisfying to me than seeing my daughter's eyes light up with each new sight and sound. She reminds me on a daily basis what makes nature so magical.

pretendingtowork #25080 06/13/12 10:42 PM
S
S
Congratulations, PTW! So glad your family had such a good and successful trip. I feel like we had a part in the trip with all the planning discussions.

Can you tell us: did you do anything for acclimation and conditioning in the two weeks before coming to Mt Whitney?

You are very fortunate to have such a motivated and focused kid! Keep him going with the hikes suggested here by the others.

Here's a picture Richard P took of the family:

pretendingtowork #25090 06/14/12 07:53 AM
Uh, what about mom? Seems like she was the family sherpa on the descent portion of the hike.

Glad your family had the thrill of a lifetime.

Yes, the campgrounds are indeed one of the best. We all do our best to keep it that way for the next guest that comes along.

One more thing...how was that trout?
I was salivating thinking about
Coal-baked,
slow baked...
Green onions, lemon, garlic, and brown rice...
With a side of Doug's fries!!!

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #25092 06/14/12 08:13 AM
P
OP Offline
P
For conditioning, I just chased my boys around for the weeks/months/years prior to going up. We did a few hikes in our area with some elevation gain.

To acclimate, we spent some time the days prior at higher elevation but the highest we slept before going up was at the W.P. Campground. I used how my son was feeling as a barometer of how high we could go, I kept him hydrated and eating never seemed to be a problem for any of us. He never complained, nor did my wife so we just kept on going to the top.

As for planning, I got all my best information from here. Without the tips and this website things would have been much harder.

Mom carried plenty and her knees were hurting she did great. While my pack was heavier than hers, hers was a higher percentage of body weight than mine, so she really pulled it together, she was the family sherpa going up and down...@ti2d where you one of the people we passed? Or possibly the host of the campgrounds? My son wants to take his little brother to the campground soon to teach him how to fish and camp. Little guy isn't even 2 yet, but I have a feeling we will be back before the summer is up.

The trout was great!!! my wife doesn't normally like trout, but she figured she would take a bite since she caught it, she ate quite a bit of it. We dredged it in flour, filled it with garlic butter and lemon, then cooked it slowly over the campfire.

If Doug's fries are the ones from the W.P. Store, then they are simply amazing. I remember seeing a huge mound of them on my plate with my burger. I didn't think there was any way I would eat all of them. But each of us, even my son managed to put away all those fries.

Once again thanks to this community of people here who had nothing but great information to offer. With out you guys I am not sure we would have made it.

pretendingtowork #25097 06/14/12 11:11 AM
I was not there on your triumphant trip. I consider the Portal holy ground...hence why I consider Whitney "Mecca West." No, I am Moslem.

Big Bro wants to show Lil Bro how its done...that is too cool!

Mom and dad, you got a lot of planning ahead of you. :grin:

Journey well...
pretendingtowork #25098 06/14/12 05:32 PM
I loved reading your trip report. What a trooper your son is....he made it all the way to the summit. On the summit, you, your wife and your son look like you just took a walk in the park. You all look rested, happy and so healthy. What an amazing family. Your family makes hiking to the summit of Mt. Whitney look like it's a "piece of cake".

Thank you very much for sharing your summit with everyone on the WZ. thanks

Lynnaroo
lynn-a-roo #25100 06/14/12 10:00 PM
J
J
Congrats to you and your family!
How was the weather? Any cold weather gear required for your hike?

pretendingtowork #25108 06/15/12 08:05 AM
CaT Offline
Quote:

ROFLOL!! OMG!

Seriously, really nice trip report. Enjoyed reading it! My favorite part was your young son, upon completing the hike, already looking ahead on his own to the next hike/goal. Excellent!

CaT

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)
jondotcom #25110 06/15/12 09:28 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Overnight temps got down to the 20's, but we were snug in our sleeping bags. During the day it was really nice and my son wore a long sleeve shirt with a down puff jacket on top and a beanie. So no real cold weather gear required.

pretendingtowork #25156 06/16/12 06:05 PM
T
T
Thanks for the great trip report. Congratulations on your summit. Glad you didn't let the negative stop you.

pretendingtowork #25217 06/19/12 07:18 AM
D
DUG Offline
D
My proudest hiking moments were when my son made his three Whitney summits (at 12,13 and 14). It's never better than spending time on the trail with family.

Congrats to you and your son.....................DUG

pretendingtowork #25225 06/19/12 04:28 PM
Now my son is trying to think of where to go next. He is open to suggestions.

Free solo Half Dome.

Well maybe not next, but watch out for that kid. Great trip and a great report.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
pretendingtowork #25234 06/19/12 06:26 PM
J
J
Great trip you guys had. Need more pictures.
My daughter hiked Langley before she turned 6 last year.
http://jsclimbs.zenfolio.com/p665938120

She saw Whitney form the top and she wants to climb it badly.
Unfortunately we did not get the permits so will have to go and see if any no shows for Main Trail Overnight.
If not, we're going the MR way.
They are stronger and more determined than many adults.
I see that you are in California, maybe we'll run into each other and the kids can hike with us.
Julius

Julius S. #25285 06/21/12 01:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Julius S.

Unfortunately we did not get the permits so will have to go and see if any no shows for Main Trail Overnight.
If not, we're going the MR way.

Unfortunately, MW permits are for the Portal trailhead and do not separate MT from MR. Same permit, same quota, regardless of route. Good luck with the walk-up, though.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!

Link Copied to Clipboard