Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: First timer: my training program for One-Day Whitney
wbtravis #25276 06/21/12 08:51 AM
Originally Posted By: wbtravis
This would be awfully early for the Sierra to be skeeter free. I would still bring DEET along until at least September.

About the earliest I remember not coming back with a slew of bites is about August 1st.

Ditto. I don't recall any bugs of consequence in August, but the last two Julys Outpost Camp was ridiculous-crazy with skeeters, black flies and no-see-ums. I suppose the low snow year will produce fewer pests, but I'm surprised there were no noticeable mosquitos in mid-June.

Last year in mid-July, half the folks I saw camping at Outpost were wearing facial mosquito netting. Big snow year though, so there was water everywhere.

Steve C #25306 06/21/12 05:23 PM
OP Offline

Gelsomina #25311 06/21/12 08:37 PM
E
E
Did anyone tell you yet that you're seriously overpreparing for this?

Drop steps 5 to 10, start monitoring recreation.gov for available day hike permits, pick a date so that you can get to Lone Pine 24 hours before the hike (48 if you have a lot of free time on your hands), spend a day at Horseshoe Meadows, do an acclimatization hike (climb Trail Peak, for example), spend the night camping at the portal.

You will either get AMS or you won't. If you are at risk for AMS, your long training schedule will do nothing to prepare you for it. All you can do is to spend more time acclimatizing or to rely on diamox.

If you insist on continuing with your plan, replace either week 6 or week 7 with Mount Langley.

Last edited by Eugene K; 06/21/12 08:42 PM.
Gelsomina #25312 06/21/12 09:19 PM
I am very interested to hear your start...summit...and end times on July 14 on the Vivian Creek trail to San Gorgonio peak. I will be anxiouusly looking for your trip report on that hike....that trail is a great training hike for Mt. Whitney....the last time I summited San G was 2011 via the Vivian Creek Trail....I was 10 years older than you so I am sure you will make the trek in better time than me. You have a vigorous training schedule... wow what fun you will have...I look forward to your Mt. WHITNEY trip report too. The last time I summited Mt. Whitney I was 56 so with your young years and all the training you are doing you will summit easily if the altitude does not bother you. Best of luck to you.

Last edited by lynn-a-roo; 06/21/12 09:25 PM.

Lynnaroo
Eugene K #25328 06/22/12 07:32 AM
W
W
Originally Posted By: Eugene K

If you are not in mountain shape, you are not prepared. You can run marathons but if you legs are not used to going up, and more specifically, going down, you are going to have a miserable day.

If you are a noob, there is a lot to learn. Gelsomina seems to be learning something every time sHe is out in the mountains. The more you know, the better you can plan your trip, the better chance you can be successful. You don't want to be learning what works and doesn't work at 14,000' after a cold front passed and it 20* F and the wind is howling at a constant 30.

wbtravis #25336 06/22/12 12:32 PM
E
E

If you are not in mountain shape, you are not prepared. You can run marathons but if you legs are not used to going up, and more specifically, going down, you are going to have a miserable day.

If you are a noob, there is a lot to learn. Gelsomina seems to be learning something every time sHe is out in the mountains. The more you know, the better you can plan your trip, the better chance you can be successful. You don't want to be learning what works and doesn't work at 14,000' after a cold front passed and it 20* F and the wind is howling at a constant 30.

She is not a noob. According to her posts, she does a lot of hiking and trail running, she had a 12-mile mountain hike on June 2 and 1513-mile mountain hike on June 16. I would say that she is in mountain shape. (She's certainly in a better mountain shape than I was when I day-hiked Whitney this week.) Additional hikes on the list are just more of the same. The main thing she still needs to learn is the effects of altitude (none of her trips took her higher than 11500'), and this is not going to change because the remaining hikes on the list won't take her higher than 11500' either.

Gelsomina:

Re-reading the thread, I see that I've missed the part about you doing this with 2 other guys. Then you obviously can't move up the schedule and head to Whitney at the first opportunity as I suggested. But I still think that you should get either Langley or White somewhere into the schedule.

wbtravis #25340 06/22/12 01:39 PM
T
T

If you are not in mountain shape, you are not prepared. You can run marathons but if you legs are not used to going up, and more specifically, going down, you are going to have a miserable

I tend to generally agree with the primise, but you can get into good shape and perform well in the mountains even if you have to do 100% of your training at sea level and on flat terrain. Not ideal, but you make due.

Eugene K #25347 06/22/12 04:49 PM
W
W
Eugene,

The questions asked were those of a noob. Clothing, gear, training, etc. Therefore, I answer as if she is a noob.

I've told her to go White or Langley. I believe they help anyone unfamiliar with these elevations. White for noobs; Langley for those with a little more experience.

Eugene K #25348 06/22/12 06:49 PM
K
K

I agree, it sounds like you are in great shape and will be in better shape than a lot of people who are out on the mountain with you the day of your hike.

KathyW #25350 06/22/12 08:20 PM
A
A
Gelsomina,
There is no such thing as over training IMO. Keep doing what you're doing.

1) The more you're out there, the more you'll find out about yourself and your gear. It gives you an opportunity to try different clothing, packs, foods, boots, etc.
2) Over training means you'll be smiling all the way up Whitney and all the way down. Why just be "good enough"?
3) Depending on the time of year, I'm up in the mountains at least monthly if not weekly. There was a point that I was doing Skyline and Cactus to the Clouds at San Jacinto almost every week and was comfortable during and after the hike, but never did I think nor did I feel like I could skip up and down Whitney.

It looks like you'll make it up to the summit on your date, weather and altitude issues aside. I say keep training (harder) so you can do it in style, having fun, and yacking with your friends the whole way.

KathyW #25358 06/23/12 09:06 AM
W
W
Shape is but one aspect of this trip. Gelsomina will be in a lot better shape than I was the first time I day tripped the MMWT. Many were in better shape but few were better prepared. As long you are learning something from each training hike they are of benefit. Judging by what she has been writing I would say she still needs a bit of seasoning.

For many the first time they hike at night is on the MMWT. Rarely, does anyone go out to figure out if their headlight worth plastic it's made out from. I know I wish I had.

wbtravis #25363 06/23/12 02:39 PM
OP Offline
I don't consider myself an experienced hiker at all, more of a newbie than anything. The longest hike I've ever done was last weekend (Seven Pines Trail to SJ Peak), the longest run I've ever done was a half marathon.

I'm in pretty good shape, but definitely could be in better. I've got a couple things working against me: I don't have a lean body type, and I have a connective tissue disorder that causes hip joint pain and injuries on a regular basis.

It might work for other people to prepare less, but I know for me personally I need to be very prepared based on these factors.

BTW, I think that age is not much of a factor when comparing between different people. Three of the guys in my Whitney group are all significantly older than me and in much better shape than me. I know they will kick my butt up that mountain. :whistle:

Gelsomina #25371 06/24/12 08:28 AM
W
W
It is a humbling experience to have a 70 year old blow by you at 13,500' when you think you are in the best shape of your life at age 45.

Gelsomina #26787 08/10/12 02:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Gelsomina

I think I might have inadvertently reverse-psychologied the originals when I told them I applied for a popular permit for Vivian Creek to San Gorgonio Peak for July 14 for 2 people only (my New partner and myself.

For future reference, if you have a San G Wilderness permit, you can take up to 12 people, regardless of what you put on the permit. I was told this by two rangers this summer while preparing/hiking up to Dollar Lake.

They basically give out 20 (not sure what the exact number of permits) per day. It doesn't matter is there is 1 person or 12 on those permits.

63ChevyII.com #26793 08/10/12 05:06 PM
S
S
ChevyII: You must be talking about San Gorgonio permits.

I just don't want people confusing those with Whitney permits, where the number of people is very important.

Steve C #26802 08/10/12 06:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve C
ChevyII: You must be talking about San Gorgonio permits.

I just don't want people confusing those with Whitney permits, where the number of people is very important.

Yes - in her post she was talking about San Gorgonio Wilderness Permits. I edited my post to reflect this.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard