Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 207 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: EXPOSURE & OTHER DIFFICULTY COMPARED
CaT #23433 04/30/12 09:19 AM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
post removed

Last edited by Burchey; 04/30/12 09:37 AM.
#23434 04/30/12 09:43 AM
From the "how to scare the s%^& out of Laura" files...

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #23435 04/30/12 09:45 AM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
where is this?

Originally Posted By: MooseTracks
From the "how to scare the s%^& out of Laura" files...

#23436 04/30/12 10:03 AM
CaT Offline
East Face?

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)
CaT #23437 04/30/12 10:05 AM
North Face of University. TR later tonight. grin

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #23438 04/30/12 10:10 AM
CaT Offline
Very cool!
Free solo?

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
CaT #23439 04/30/12 10:14 AM
We brought a 35m 9mm rope, which we used later on a snow traverse. But here everything was in/on the pack: snowshoes, ice axe, crampons, poles, rope... :o

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #23471 05/01/12 10:08 AM
CaT Offline
Yeah, I thought all i saw in that pic was you and a whole lotta air!

CaT

Anonymous1 #23846 05/10/12 09:01 AM
R
R
I just returned from my trip to Zion, Bryce, and Grand Canyon. The Narrows was not considered 'cause the water aspect of that hike made my wife nervous. Maybe at another time for me. Our first hike was Angels Landing. I was surprised to find that the final .7 mile of trail was at least 10 feet wide average. There were very few spots where you could look down the edge. We quickly made the summit focusing on the trail. However the exposure on another Zion hike was a factor. We combined Observation Point and Hidden Canyon. We felt we were "on the edge" many times. And at Grand Canyon constant attention was a must or your next step could be 5,000 ft. We went a short ways down South Kaibab Trail and also down Grandview Trail to Horseshoe mesa.

RenoFrank #25884 07/12/12 09:02 AM
B
B
I recently completed both the Angels Landing hike and the Half Dome hike within a couple of days of each other. I found the Angels Landing hike much easier than I anticipated. There really weren't many spots where you could fall far unless you were doing something really stupid. Although I did come across a few fit looking adults that didn't attempt the last section because they thought it was too scary for them. Also a few terrified looking people sitting on their backsides trying to slide back down a few tricky sections. Honestly I didn't see any fear factor on this hike ......

However Half Dome I found to be quite different. I have hiked half dome before and found it scary on the sub dome and cables sections but I thought this time it wouldn't be so bad knowing what i was in for. But it was just as terrifying as the first time. About a quarter of the way up the cables i nearly turned around but decided to keep going for some reason. Then a little further up the guy directly in front of me pulled out one of the support posts accidently. Now that was scary as he started to slide back gradually towards me. Is this really happening I thought. Then I said to myself stay calm, assess the situation and act. First thought was should I saying anything to the guy. But what would I say - can I help ? be careful ? then i thought i could try to support him if he slid back to me, then I thought I could move both hands to the other side where the posts were still in tact. Then I thought I am going straight down when the guy is secure and safe. But within a few seconds and before I had to act at all I realised the guy wasnt panicking, knew exactly what to do and did it. He pulled himself back up to where the post should be and put it back in place. Boy that was a scary few seconds though.

I also hiked to the top of Clouds Rest the day after Half Dome. While it was gruelling because my legs were still a little sore I found very little fear factor compared to what I had read about the final ridge. Again if you rock hopped correctly without being stupid there is really no place you would fall more than a few feet.

Anyway that was just my thoughts on the topic.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard