Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
07-25-12 Trip Report.
#26352 07/30/12 01:54 PM
+ @ti2d Offline OP
OP Offline
Our 07-25-12 hike was dedicated to the memory of my father, my wife's father who passed away 03-28-12, and BruinDave's father who also passed away earlier this year.

We planned this hike in July 2011 for my wife's co-workers who wanted to do this hike. My wife, Chris, Josh and Sandra work for the same government agency. For my wife and me, it had been four years since we climbed Mt. Whitney.

Section 1: TH to WZ
Section 2: WZ to TCa
Section 3: TCa to TCr
Section 4: TCr to summit

Sunday, July 22: We arrive in Lone Pine around 3 pm and head up to the Portal to set up camp at site 21. On our way up, we noticed it had rained. As we set up out tents, it began to sprinkle with a few boomers going off. We spot a bear about 30 yards from our camp being chased out by other campers. We head up the the Store. Doug and a crew of kids are laying down pavers around the pond. Looks great.

Monday, July 23: We have breakfast at the Alabama Hills Café. As we dined, the rain began to fall. Let it rain. Afterwards, we went to the IAVC to obtain our eight permits. No color tags. We hiked a mile down and up the NPNRT to see how much the altitude at 8300 will affect us. We met the first member of our party, Chris, at the Portal around 1:40pm. We gave him a tour of the area, and hiked a mile down and up the NPNRT. Four miles for both of us. No issues. We check into the Hostel. Room 8 has a microwave and a flat-screen. Marvelous. I locate The Weather Channel and watch the "Local on the Eights." The three of us have dinner at Pizza Factory. Two more members of our crew arrive later in the evening. After texting, we decided to meet at AHC for breakfast and then head up to Horseshoe Meadows for some acclimatization.

Tuesday, July 24: After eating, we head up to HSM. We walk around for about 3 hours around the meadow. Afterwards, we head to the Portal area to give our two new arrivals, Josh and Jessica (husband and wife) a tour. Josh was born in Lone Pine. On our way to WP from HSM, I play "My Town" by Montgomery Gentry and dedicated it to Josh. He is an Air Force heavy metal guy and does not like country music. He liked the song. Converted another one! At the Portal we receive word that two other members, Sandra and her son John, would be arriving around 11:30 pm due to John' flight woes out of Phoenix (t-storms) to Fresno. All five of us dine at the Mt. Whitney Cafe. I order a tuna melt and fries. We later head to Joseph's Bi-Rite so I could get some Gatorade. My wife and I hit the rack at 6:00 p.m. So do the others.

Wednesday, July 25: We hit the road at 1:00 am. I take my wife, Chris, Josh and Jessica. Sandra and John ride separately. On the drive up I played "Made in America" by Toby Keith to give me a "jumpstart." Don't know if the others appreciated it or not. We start at 1:40 a.m. from the TH sign. I wanted to start at midnight, but the consensus of the group wanted a later start time due to the arrival of Sandra and John.

I was the lead. Slow pace even by my standards.

We stop at the Whitney Zone sign. My wife says her siphon tube does not work. She had no water. I remembered that she told me her pack felt wet when we set up camp on Sunday night. I had filled her Osprey bladder with one liter and I guess I did not secure the lid tightly. Luckily, the spring was less than a mile away.

We stop at the spring in Bighorn Park. Water tasted good and it was cold. Members of the party were hesitant to try the water. I told them it was the purest water on the face of the earth. None of us brought a filter.

Around Outpost Camp, I started feeling the effects of altitude. Mountaineer's breaths. Still feeling whoozy. No headaches. More sips of water. Kept pushing. Above Mirror Lake more of the same for me.

There is no wind although it was chilly. I had packed gloves, a fleece vest, and a shell. I did not have to wear them.

We stop just short of what I call the "Badlands" just below Trail Camp. It is here we make head calls (nature calls).

We proceed on to Trail Camp. Just short of the switchbacks, I point out Mt. Whitney. We go there.

The SBs posed a bit of a problem for all except me. I am not an "eater" on the trail. I eat only during the descent. The others snacked on their concoctions of trail food. I told them in missives that foods taste different at altitude. They were finding that out. The blood went from their heads to their bellies to digest. No complaintes of nausea although I could see it in their eyes.

I get my water from SB 23. It is flowing good. Two liters should be enough. There was some ice on the lower SBs before getting to it. There is some significant rockfall along the upper SBs but no difficulties.

We reach Trail Crest and it is a traffic jam of people. Pictures here and there. Will you take ours. Let me take yours.

I had no problems for the next 2.5 miles to the summit. Yes, I took my time and counted 200 steps. If I felt good, I kept on. If not, I stopped and sipped.

Jessica decides to make a head call. She goes down along a steep portion and almost didn't make it back up on the scree. She was safe.

I was sweep to the summit. My wife stayed with me. The others had made it up to the summit 10 minutes ahead of us.

We summit at 11:00 am. It is an emotional moment for me and my wife. Pops passed away on March 28, 2012, and I had asked permission of my mother in law to take his edding band to the summit. In all of their 56 years of marriage, he never took it off. I said hi to my father and to BruinDave's father. I am not a religious person, but they were there with us.

On July 14, we celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary. Not a bad way to celebrate 11 days later.

There must be 35-40 people on the summit. Never had I seen this many people. Usually, we are at the summit between 8-9 am with a 12:00 am start.

After numerous photos, we head back down at 11:45 am.

At one of the windows, Jessica "freezes" due to panic. After gaining her composure she proceeded.

Again, I am sweep making sure everyone is okay.

John and Chris take off way ahead of us. My thought is that they know their way back once they get to Trail Camp.

The main body arrives. Chris and John are at TC waiting for us. I tell them that was a wise decision to wait.

Stopped at Trailside Meadow for a breather and to check the "hot spot" on the right ball of my foot. No blisters. I changed socks at this point.

We make our way down. At this point, my knees ache but it is not a problem. At the WZ sign, the others wait for me, but I keep going. I want off this trail just as much as they do. The other five take off ahead. My wife and I stay together.

We encounter three men who were coming up just on the other side of the log crossing. One of them has a plastic bag filled with Pabst Blue Ribbon and by the smell of their breaths they had been drinking a while. They were headed to Lone Pine Lake. I was waiting for one of them to do something stupid (other than getting tanked and deciding to hike in the early evening). I had my Gerber knife ready to flip in case one of them decided to get too friendly with my wife. All three were not carrying packs nor water. Odds were in my favor. Stupid people shouldn't be allowed to breed. We pass without incident.

I run out of water around SB 11 of Section 1. Fortunately, my wife had extra water. I am counting the SBs on the way down. We reach the NFLPC crossing. Just another 0.8 miles to go.

My wife and I reach the TH sign. Time on deck is 7:10 p.m. Yes, those final 2.8 miles are the longest. We dine on froth and fries (burger, too). We are tired. One member of our party comments, "I have the utmost respect for those who hike this trail. I cannot imagine what it would be like to do this twice or three times in a day." I had told all of Crazy Jack and some people wanting to do this three times in one day.

We did not see a mountain lion nor did we see a single ranger.

We had fun.

Afterthoughts: My wife and I felt we could not do it considering our basal cell carcinomas, my "ticker" problem and not hiking as much as we would have liked to prepare. The gym visits (2 hour sessions) helped. Hiking Upper Yosemite Falls and Lookout and Four Mile Trail were a factor, too. The intense leg workouts and treadmill (wife) and stationary bike (me) at the gym really helped with the strength and cardio. I do not advocate this type of "crunch time" training, but we pulled this one out of our "magic hat." If we hike Mt. Whitney again, we now have our weight training regimen to assist us. If there is a "next time" we won't take as long and we will be ready. I don't believe on "gettin' by." I believe in "get up, get out, get it on, get going, and gitr' done." Yes, we have respect for Mt. Whitney, too!

I posted pictures in the photo gallery. Don't know how to post them here. wagga, it did happen.

Picture added by Steve C

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Doug and Earlene and WP Crew for the fine food. Doug, our room at the hostel was great. Sorry about the hot water bill! whistle

Journey well...
Re: 07-25-12 Trip Report.
+ @ti2d #26354 07/30/12 02:55 PM
Thanks for posting such a nice trip report. Sounds like fun was had by all.

Tina - A REAL Orange County Housewife (Okay so I don't stay home)
+ @ti2d #26391 07/31/12 08:03 PM
Nice TR Gary. Love the clipped, military-esque reporting in places. Glad you all summitted and had a great time!

What is this, "If we hike Mt. Whitney again" stuff?!?!

+ @ti2d #26394 07/31/12 10:41 PM
S
S
Nice report, Gary. Congrats getting the entire group up and back.

And especially, congratulations to you and Pam on the fifth anniversary:

(Gary's pictures are here.)

Steve C #26419 08/01/12 02:00 PM
+ @ti2d Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you, Steve, for adding the pictures... thanks

BD34, that "what if" will always change grin

There is one thing I forgot to mention:

I must have counted AT LEAST 20 WAG BAGS along the trail.

Just past the last water crossing before Trail Camp, someone placed a green tent sleeve off-trail. You didn't have to look what was inside. You could smell it. Hideous. sick mad cry frown

I counted 4 on the SBs, 3 on the "Hypoxic Highway" between JMT and the summit. mad

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #26477 08/03/12 07:22 AM
D
D
I actually threw up when i went past that disgusting bag.. It is getting ridiculous how many wag bags there are on the trail.. A large portion of people who are going on the mountain have little- to no respect for all others and most importantly ,, the WATER SUPPLY..

Davey McCoy #26528 08/05/12 02:25 PM
J
J
Originally Posted By: mountainwalker85
I actually threw up when i went past that disgusting bag.. It is getting ridiculous how many wag bags there are on the trail.. A large portion of people who are going on the mountain have little- to no respect for all others and most importantly ,, the WATER SUPPLY..

I was thinking the exact thing. We passed a lot of them on the way up but they were gone on the way down, so most seem to be placing them on the side of the trail to pick up on the way back down.

+ @ti2d #27214 08/24/12 11:55 PM
Gary....you are soooooo funny...you write a Far Out trip report.....I had to catch my breath while reading it because you write with such energy and enthusiasn...you're hard to keep up with.....were you a hyper kid? Hey..I thought you were the guy dressed in black in the summit photo but then I saw some guy dressed in yellow kissing your wife. Must be the altitude I was feeling from your well written TR....I got confused.

I like a fact you pointed out and wonder if it is true that if we eat all the blood goes to our stomach so it is better not to eat at high altitudes so we can have more blood and oxygen in our brain.

Thanks for sharing your trip report....I thoroughly enjoyed it....congratulations to your whole team on a successful summit.

Lynnaroo
lynn-a-roo #27287 08/27/12 11:27 AM
+ @ti2d Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes, I was a hyper kid...I blame my father wink

I thank you for the compliment on my literary style.

Someday I will write like the MOOSE!!! grin

Journey well...

Link Copied to Clipboard