Next Thread
Print Thread
Boots vs Trail Running shoes?
#26682 08/08/12 08:46 AM
L
Larryd Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I've seen somewhere that a person can summit Whitney in tennis shoes. I would normally not consider wearing my boots, but the extensive downhill will tear up my toes in my boots. So I'm wondering if there is an unscientific estimate of the % of the various types of foot wear that people use on Whitney. The scary thing is turning an ankle, plus my boots have better grip.

Re: Boots vs Trail Running shoes?
Larryd #26687 08/08/12 10:23 AM
I have hiked the MWT in boots and trailrunning shoes.

Go with the boots.

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #26693 08/08/12 01:57 PM
L
Larryd Offline OP
OP Offline
L
As I stated before, that is my normal inclination. But I just did 16 miles yesterday, much of it downhill, and my toes took a beating. What were the negatives about the shoes?

Larryd #26694 08/08/12 02:22 PM
C
C
My Zamberlan boots weigh 3+ lbs. My North Face trail runners weigh 1 lbs.

I'd be wearing the latter going up (and down) Whitney next week.

Then again, it's a personal choice. :)

ChrisInLongBeach #26695 08/08/12 02:34 PM
R
R
I wore boots and was glad I did. I think you can easily do it in trail runners but if it happens to rain, like it did with me, trail runners could pose a problem on the slippery trail.

ruckustrx11 #26697 08/08/12 03:15 PM
T
T
I prefer boots. Less likely to roll and ankle and I found that I could feel the rocks through the soles of my trail runners.

Larryd #26699 08/08/12 03:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Larryd
As I stated before, that is my normal inclination. But I just did 16 miles yesterday, much of it downhill, and my toes took a beating. What were the negatives about the shoes?

In TR shoes, you can sometimes feel every rock you step on.... cry

If your toes took a beating then you need to go up a full or half size or get wider TR shoes.

Journey well...
Larryd #26704 08/08/12 05:19 PM
E
E
Wear Patagonia P26, works like a boot, feels like a trail running shoe. I've never had to break them in either. I have 2 pairs and summited on both their maiden voyage, Mt Baldy and Half Dome. SteepandCheap.com usually puts them up a few times a week.

"If you're gonna be stupid, you've got to be tough."
ejsurfs #26709 08/08/12 05:41 PM
K
Ken Offline
K
Personal preference, of course.

Downside of TR, protection from rocks. I'd strongly recommend an aftermarket insole, such as Superfeet. Far, Far superior than what come in them.

By the way, I think that for boots, as well.

I think it is shameful the junk that is put in expensive and high end boots and shoes.

Larryd #26717 08/08/12 07:47 PM
W
W
My personal preference is boots. My advice is whatever floats your boat as long as it is high quality, fits and is married to a pair of merino wool socks and liners.

wbtravis #26719 08/08/12 08:41 PM
Last year I wore trail runners up to trail camp, then changed into hiking boots for the rest of the trip.

I bought these a couple of weeks ago - adidas Ax 1 Mid GTX Multisport Shoes. I put 11 miles on them for a break in hike then did San Jacinto from the tram last weekend. I have about 25 miles on them and I love them. I think they're a good compromise between my Salomon Quest 4D GTX Hiking Boots and my columbia trail runners. Two of the other guys in my group bought the Adidas boots and love them too. We're all planning on using them on Whitney is a couple of weeks.

63ChevyII.com #26849 08/11/12 08:57 PM
If you go with TR pick one with a firm sole, good torsional stiffness, and upgrade your insole, as Ken suggested. If you go with a boot, pick a very lightweight model and upgrade the insole. More important than anyone else's opinion is what feels right on your particular dogs.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Goretex footwear except on snow - it just doesn't breathe enough for three season use, in my humble opinion.

SierraNevada #26854 08/12/12 04:50 AM
Footwear will totally depend on conditions.

With no snow on the trail, trail runners would be great, (Note I say trail runners rather than sneakers, since sneakers will be too soft and have less protection against protruding rocks, etc. Trail runners will also be waterproof, but arguably not the most important thing to look at for a summer hike.

In Spring snow, I'd go with a boot to hold your crampons

Fall, with loose, unconsolidated snow, I'd go for more of a boot if there will be drifts, possibly with gaiters.

Winter - full on Mountaineering boot

Sock selection is equally important as footwear...

nyker #26914 08/13/12 11:04 AM
B
B
If I'm not hiking in snow, trail runners every time. They are cooler, lighter and vastly more comfortable than my boots.

Brent N

Brent N #26919 08/13/12 01:31 PM
I tried low cut trail shoes but had ankle rollover issues. Went to a higher top light boot with very little weight increase and cut way back on the rollover problem.

Mike
Larryd #26989 08/15/12 11:03 AM
K
K
For me, in the summer on the main Whitney Trail, or on any other trail, running shoes work perfect - I've done it in sandals too, but I like the running shoes best - trail runners have a bit more traction so they are good. I only wear boots in snow when I'll need to kick steps or wear crampons, and then it's mountaineering boots. I switch from the running shoes to approach shoes when I'll be traveling off of a trail because I like the sticky soles for scrambling.

Footwear is a personal choice - what works for one person does not always work for another. So, you'll have to figure out what's best for you.

KathyW #26993 08/15/12 12:59 PM
Originally Posted By: KathyW
For me, in the summer on the main Whitney Trail, or on any other trail, running shoes work perfect - I've done it in sandals too, but I like the running shoes best - trail runners have a bit more traction so they are good. I only wear boots in snow when I'll need to kick steps or wear crampons, and then it's mountaineering boots. I switch from the running shoes to approach shoes when I'll be traveling off of a trail because I like the sticky soles for scrambling.

Footwear is a personal choice - what works for one person does not always work for another. So, you'll have to figure out what's best for you.

Hi Kathy,
Do you do the Mountaineer's route? If so, do you use your approach shoes once you start the final assent? What brand of approach shoe do you favor?
Thanks,
John

John Sims #26994 08/15/12 03:21 PM
K
K
John:

I've only done the MR once a few years back and I wore approach shoes the whole way because I've been using Five-Ten Insight Shoes for years now and they can do the miles on the trail as well as stick to the rocks when scrambling. If there isn't any snow, I just wear the approach shoes for the entire time. If there is snow along the route, I'll wear the mountaineering boots until I reach the end of the snow and then switch to the approach shoes where the scrambling on dry rock begins. It means carrying an extra pair of shoes, but those sticky soles make a world of difference for me on Class 3/4 sections.

I'm not a technical climber and don't typically carry any protection; so I tend to stick to Class 3 and below, but occasionally I find myself on Class 4 section (these ratings are all very subjective). I love nice snow climbs and scrambles on dry rocks, but I also don't do mixed climbing - either snow or dry rocks for me - I don't mind if it's sections with snow and then section with dry rocks, but climbing rocks interlaced with ice or icy snow in my crampons is not for me.

There are other models of approach shoes made by Five-Ten that are supposed to be as good or better than the Insights, but sizing is an issue with Five-Tens; so I stick with the Insights because I know what size fits me. A size 8 in one model is nothing like a size 8 in another model eventhough they are made by the same company.

I've been looking for an approach shoe that is lighter than the Insight to carry in my pack for when I take both the mountaineering boots and the approach shoes. Recently, I ordered a pair of Evolve Cruisers - the second ones they sent fit, but I haven't had a chance to try them out yet. Looking at them, I don't think they will be as sticky as the Five-Tens but I'll wait to try them before passing judgement.

I think the sizing issues on some of the shoes have something to do with the European/US sizing translation.

Kathy

KathyW #26997 08/15/12 06:29 PM
S
S
5-10 Exum Guide is my current all-arounder. Semi-high top shoe (not boot). A bit floppy in ankle control, but good cushion for descending and not too heavy. Plus the 5-10 rubber is light years better than any other. I hiked down the mt Whitney trail Tuesday in the rain and every foot plant was made with confidence.

How old are you? Younger legs can better handle trail runners. I am 55, slightly overweight and when i did San Gorgonio (22 miles), my La Sportiva Wildcats - which is a great trsail running shoe- was not enough to protect my knees. One injured and that would not have happened with the more protective 5-10's. And when younger, I could go anywhere in trail runners...

Link Copied to Clipboard