Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 85 of 100 1 2 83 84 85 86 87 99 100
Re: What In The World Happened Here? CXLVIII (148):
Steve C #28876 11/01/12 06:04 AM
Originally Posted By: Steve C
148:
wagga: This is the crossing of two rivers.

saltydog: Uh, I don't think so. The North distributary of the Kings joins the San Joaquin about 15 miles west of Fresno, but that's way downstream from this point. What is crossing the Kings in in the pic is not the San Joaquin, but the Friant-Kern Canal, as noted above.

Well actually, salty, up until a year ago, the F-K canal took ALL the San Joaquin water in dry years. The river only got what they couldn't hold behind all the dams upstream. The San J riverbed was dry as a bone every summer, while the canal ran deep. Just this year, the fish won a victory, and the farmers are sharing a bit. So it all depends on how you look at it. In waggaspeak, the rivers cross there. smile

Yeah, I understand the hydrology, but if the canal is the river, then this is not the only place rivers cross: it happens all over the valley. (And , it's not "still going on", since the great Fish Victory). By the same reasoning, the Tuolomne River crosses the San Joaquin and San Francisco Bay and empties into the San Francisco sewer system. Is that how we want to think of a river? Not I, any more than ethanol is corn on the cob.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
Re: New: What In The World Happened Here? CXLVIII (148):
Steve C #28908 11/02/12 05:31 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Given that the Valley Project produced North/South canals that cross several East/West rivers, I do agree that there are several significant river crossings, which are at least as as interesting (from the dinner table point of view) as railroad crossings.

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
wagga #28909 11/02/12 05:35 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
What In The World Happened Here? CXLVIX (149):

Answer: use http://infoencrypt.com/

cL92EHSE4QpMfpvG1WWQasURxk9gEHVtULRsQJZuHq7zvLGuqlATac60kXjFby6KuS7qE4Ug6x78aXFE
G3md1uLLDoMpEkKg2OJSF5DFPzqhHeqnCBkIJMgaolS3z/9v33/hGaL/1EAfdvjZnafkyLg/DAQdqsaP
PnIwh39D+mTSw+Dxpx10QkGA4oueF9kSRUFCMnId6KoPcah2tzNiY7EH/ARK3mKVWhEGkf6iczgLF/MA
h8u1dcIJS7FqN1GNIr3YahmqaR+Ax3secLBXKjvn7Q6Qfb8H0YHKQiHW1OHm5jgw+Kxj54/wKnMcSmmj
qZb1hloKhUIX1hlHWw7/O3gtU6cZI7lnY15mE/++limHq4lNVYUjUlKwIjK1MbdyEtTXEKwNawCC/ZKY
AmCQX/QHP3T6f2vAa1rYjTHRIzy8wbjQGR2dKzVckxy/dIuWLA/rl+RXelz8I5Q7u3yDmhFiTifZb1y4
bdJmZHdJb/RTk5CZLpIl3nkLbcFPmQ9d2V236capl579VcVnhnip5w3jPCG7IKMrANjTuioL/5grM8ZF
5uyRtnQ7idyUp4ht/2psuGqq4nwsz8S1IMd21dmIUB7P7/HySGTkQfu0nQOfRBZEK1JUzXHgpQ5AOK/I
49+b627vwpDTArT8AUX92fl4sAK6fVj9/G5lD3q0OaWNywZNmlDK82KZq60tcG9TQ9bR1E/swYxrwih5
IMwtGYqWJmhppCTvGBUi2Y1+4sQHZ/PhYzczGYOtXlnpdLsl5HazA7vh/ntNExe88vxoqYfSdigIWv3l
Nt7+taJPXyuxiH7w8j9V14zc29EmO95YcFRnbeg1KVasE2jvY8EjIdCnVxT/l8wJ34maDJEkwhKKSkBg
FEF7C1qYzrsrtD5uJxCBH5vN4VGCM4yLdFfBVmWVzqJ0oAvUfFROprun8Uzv4J9KLVc79EhDtfBTHyHh
9Op3ZX+VG5w=

wagga #28912 11/02/12 06:21 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Answer: What In The World Happened Here? CXLVI: (146)

Dropping the penny.

The Reg & the Forbes articles both mentioned a 20 foot test drive, plus a 1300 foot drive to Glenelg. Which adds up to 1320 feet. And the posting count serendipitously happened to be close enough to a quarter-mile.

So, the waggabrain saw that, no matter how long it took, Curiosity would own the lowest ET (Elapsed Time) Quarter Mile record for a nuclear-powered rover on Mars. Even if you needed a calendar rather than a stop-watch. What a drag! OK, it's a bit of a stretch, but that is what WITWHH is all about, even if it is not on this world.

Which leads me to believe that posting an encrypted answer on all new puzzles is fair and reasonable. Even if it looks like the Polish National Anthem.

wagga #28913 11/02/12 06:46 PM
Originally Posted By: wagga

Dropping the penny.

The Reg & the Forbes articles both mentioned a 20 foot test drive, plus a 1300 foot drive to Glenelg. Which adds up to 1320 feet. And the posting count serendipitously happened to be close enough to a quarter-mile.

So, the waggabrain saw that, no matter how long it took, Curiosity would own the lowest ET (Elapsed Time) Quarter Mile record for a nuclear-powered rover on Mars. Even if you needed a calendar rather than a stop-watch. What a drag! OK, it's a bit of a stretch, but that is what WITWHH is all about, even if it is not on this world.

Which leads me to believe that posting an encrypted answer on all new puzzles is fair and reasonable. Even if it looks like the Polish National Anthem.

I see. Sorry, I missed the memo announcing that the rules had changed from having some hope of being able to discern the solution from the original posting to having to read the waggamind not only for the solution but for what the intervening clues might be, even having identified the original post. I thought the game was "What Happened Here?" rather than "What is the WaggaBrain thinking of among all the many things that happened here and all the many ways of characterizing them?"

Thanks for, uh, clarifying.

SPOTMe!
saltydog #28916 11/02/12 07:30 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: saltydog
I see. Sorry, I missed the memo announcing that the rules had changed from having some hope of being able to discern the solution from the original posting to having to read the waggamind not only for the solution but for what the intervening clues might be, even having identified the original post. I thought the game was "What Happened Here?" rather than "What is the WaggaBrain thinking of among all the many things that happened here and all the many ways of characterizing them?"

The rules have always been BCATSK style, ie, none. As a notable contributor in the past, please note that you are (were) the sole arbiter of the "Answer". Posting the answer as encrypted code seems to me to be totally fair.

PM me for instructions for posting encrypted answers.

Since this thread was started, web tools have appeared which makes identifying the original image too simple, so, stating the "place" is no longer the "answer".

The Original Poster needs to supply an exact "what", because the "here" is no longer sufficient. Just sayin'.

He (or She) who posts a puzzle is the final arbiter of the correct answer.

Stay in good health, because, ultimately, that is all that matters. WITWHH is just a game.

Re: What In The World Happened Here? CXLVIX (149):
wagga #28917 11/02/12 09:45 PM
S
S
149:

Besides the Polish National Anthem, it looks like somebody may be buried there.

wagga #28929 11/03/12 01:40 PM

Dropping the penny.

JPL once got in serious trouble on Mars when it failed to catch the use of mixed units by a contractor. So, I am skeptical of records for English distances. After all, there is no quarter mile record for people. That is admittedly too bad, since we have here a case of covering a furlong in a fortnight (or thereabouts).

Saltydog made some good points about this puzzle being pushing obscurity to new realms.

I am not sure I see the need for encryption (which doesn ot address the availability of various tools on the Internet). I see this as a gentlemsn's (oops... lady's and gentlemsn's) game. I trust people to stick with their original solutions. I don't think this was ever supposed to be about just place -- the event is the answer, especially if wagga made the puzzle. And I think it would be nice to maintain some linkage between original (or at least early) clues and solutions.

AlanK #28930 11/03/12 02:40 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: AlanK
Saltydog made some good points about this puzzle being pushing obscurity to new realms.

I think that is inevitable, because we probably picked all the low-hanging fruit. "Ford's Theatre" (IV) was at the easy end of the spectrum, "Curiosity" (CXLVI) was maybe as obscure as we should get. Though I thought the "Cat & The Rat" (CXV) was unsolvable - there was an exact answer within minutes! I guess the happy medium is something like "Cooper Vane" (CXXIX), which even produced an outstanding pun.

The "Solvang Conference" (III) and again "Ford's Theater" (IV) were seminal, as they changed the early character of the thread and enormously expanded the possibilities.

As AlanK states, the event is the answer, and we had drifted away from that. Not that we have any rules...

Now I'll put on my Goldilocks hat and find one not too hot, not too cold - Just right!

Or just go outside & play Calvinball.

New: What In The World Happened Here? CL (150):
wagga #28933 11/03/12 03:43 PM

The rules have always been BCATSK style, ie, none. As a notable contributor in the past, please note that you are (were) the sole arbiter of the "Answer". Posting the answer as encrypted code seems to me to be totally fair.

PM me for instructions for posting encrypted answers.

Since this thread was started, web tools have appeared which makes identifying the original image too simple, so, stating the "place" is no longer the "answer".

The Original Poster needs to supply an exact "what", because the "here" is no longer sufficient. Just sayin'.

He (or She) who posts a puzzle is the final arbiter of the correct answer.

Stay in good health, because, ultimately, that is all that matters. WITWHH is just a game.

Oh ok, then for the sesquicentennial entry:

What In The World Happened Here?

SPOTMe!
Re: New: What In The World Happened Here? CL (150):
saltydog #28936 11/03/12 05:35 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
The man of the house takes the wife out to a knock-em-dead play & everything turns to Mudd?

Re: What In The World Happened Here?
wagga #28939 11/03/12 09:22 PM
S
S
149:
Ok, wagga, before you forget 149...

That boulder made me think of Potwisha or Hospital Rock and Indian pictographs. But TinEye.com got zero hits, so maybe you could dribble out at least one small hint.

wagga #28947 11/04/12 05:54 AM
The man of the house takes the wife out to a knock-em-dead play & everything turns to Mudd?

True, but not the answer.

Hint: It actually happened at this location.

SPOTMe!
saltydog #28955 11/04/12 05:11 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
The photo (Tintype? Daguerreotype?) appears to have been taken after the Civil War, when there were conservatories to the sides of the White House, but before the East/West Wings were built.

Are we to assume that the event took place at or before this time?

Re: What In The World Happened Here? CXLVIX (149):
Steve C #28956 11/04/12 05:14 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
149:

Besides the Polish National Anthem, it looks like somebody may be buried there.

Healing was accomplished here, at least twice.

wagga #28962 11/04/12 06:57 PM
The photo (Tintype? Daguerreotype?) appears to have been taken after the Civil War, when there were conservatories to the sides of the White House, but before the East/West Wings were built.

Are we to assume that the event took place at or before this time?

Assume? No. Conclude? Maybe. If by this time you mean "After the Civil War, but before the wings were built".

SPOTMe!
saltydog #28997 11/06/12 05:16 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Assume? No. Conclude? Maybe. If by this time you mean "After the Civil War, but before the wings were built".

Rats! Can't be Tricia's deflowering, or Monica's cunning stunt with a cigar. Perhaps Willy Lincoln's death in the White House?

wagga #29014 11/07/12 08:14 AM

Rats! Can't be Tricia's deflowering, or Monica's cunning stunt with a cigar. Perhaps Willy Lincoln's death in the White House?

It evidently cuts out Obama's re-election too.

wagga #29110 11/13/12 03:56 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline

Grover Cleveland was the only President to leave the White House and return for a second term four years later? He was also the only President to be married in the White House?

Re: What In The World Happened Here?
Steve C #29111 11/13/12 04:28 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
149:
Ok, wagga, before you forget 149...

That boulder made me think of Potwisha or Hospital Rock and Indian pictographs. But TinEye.com got zero hits, so maybe you could dribble out at least one small hint.

Dribble?

Page 85 of 100 1 2 83 84 85 86 87 99 100

Link Copied to Clipboard