0 members (), 52 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: TUSDHYMD: Ten United States Day Hikes You Must Do
Akichow #29165 11/16/12 08:41 PM
South Lake --> Dusy Basin --> Knapsack Pass --> Deer Meadow --> Amphitheater Lake --> Observation Pass --> Observation Peak --> Mt. Shakspere --> Deer Meadow-ish/JMT --> LeConte Canyon --> hellish climb back up to Bishop Pass --> South Lake

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #29167 11/17/12 12:28 AM
W
OP Offline
W
saltydog -- don't understand your pointing out "Trail Head" is missing in my post about Table Mountain. I see it.

grin

(thanks for the steer -- I MEANT to say it was the trailhead but . . . )

Steve C #29168 11/17/12 12:39 AM
W
OP Offline
W
Steve, you wonder how many "Twin Lakes" there are in California. And KevinR wonders similarly regarding "Sand Canyon" and "Silver Lake".

Now that's what I'm talking about! Run with it! They can be the first 3 entries in "How Many In California Are There Of . . ." (HMICATO . . .)!

(With extra points awarded for additional correct answers for states, with a maximum of 49 extra points available!)

(And your fourth challenge can be for "Round Top".)

Whitney Fan #29171 11/17/12 07:22 AM
Originally Posted By: Whitney Fan
Steve, you wonder how many "Twin Lakes" there are in California. And KevinR wonders similarly regarding "Sand Canyon" and "Silver Lake".

Now that's what I'm talking about! Run with it! They can be the first 3 entries in "How Many In California Are There Of . . ." (HMICATO . . .)!

(With extra points awarded for additional correct answers for states, with a maximum of 49 extra points available!)

(And your fourth challenge can be for "Round Top".)

Add Mt Whitney to this challenge: you may be surprised. . .

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
saltydog #29181 11/17/12 10:44 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Lots of Mt. Whitneys in California? A quick attempt Googling didn't show anything like that quickly (although more intensive research might). But -- if you already know something about this please share it here for all of us to know! (ESPECIALLY since this IS the WHITNEY Zone.)

Whitney Fan #29182 11/17/12 11:10 PM
W
OP Offline
W
I have two more nominations.

I'm a little surprised no one has yet nominated what I would have thought to be a "natural" -- the Mt. Whitney Mountaineer's Route. Hereby nominated.

However, this will create an interesting consideration when it comes time for actual voting. On the assumption that Mt. Whitney belongs in the top ten to begin with, and the further assumption that the main trail would be the more popular selection, does the Mountaineer's Route have enouch cachet to both "outrank" other nominations and justify the inclusion of TWO Mt. Whitney hikes on the list?

(Then again, you know what they say about "assumptions".)

My second nomination is an innovative one that may or may not appeal to voters when push comes to shove! (Not even sure if I will agree with it.) But -- the nomination is for "Reader's Choice -- personal favorite not otherwise listed". If this nomination is selected, the final top ten will have 9 specific hikes with anyone reading the list able to then complete the list with his/her own favorite.

So when we eventually vote, we will have to personally decide which is better -- a list with 10 specific hikes or a list including this optional choice. Everyone will be able to vote on anywhere from one to ten hikes. Will you like the idea of this to begin with? If you do like it, but find yourself highly attracted to 10 other specific hikes to begin with, will you vote for the 10 or eliminate one of them?

Ah, such intrigue and drama as the evolution of the "TTUSDHYMD" nomination and selection process continues!

The nominations summary post has been updated -- now with 20 nominations.

Whitney Fan #29185 11/18/12 10:00 AM
R
R
One of my best day hikes out of three years spent in the US:

Swiftcurrent pass in Glacier national park, Montana.

Start the hike at the Many Glacier TH, enjoy grizzly tracks as you approach Redrock lake, don't miss the moose as you pass Bullhead lake then make your way up to Swiftcurrent pass by crossing numerous falls.
On the way down, take a break from the cold (hot?) weather at the Granite Park chalet before starting your descent toward the Logan Pass trailhead on the Highline trail. If you have enough energy, climb to a small "window" in the beautiful Garden wall to get a glimpse of Grinell glacier on the other side. Enjoy the numerous moutain goat and bighorn sheep sightings since your feet are beginning to hurt as you've now walked close to 16 miles.
End your day by hoping on the shuttle to go back to your car.

A small map here : http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/upload/hiking_logan.swf

I need to come back on this board more often...

raphus #29190 11/18/12 04:42 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Raphus, your nomination sparked some intensive research by me so I could understand more clearly this area. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears you are describing the Swiftcurrent Pass Trail from Many Glacier to the Granite Park Chalet and then going from there to Logan Pass on the Highline Trail. This is a one way hike and a pretty long one. What is the concept for when you finish the hike -- to have a friend or famiy member pick you up and take the drive back to the starting point? How long is that drive (it appears that it might be a long one)? (I did SOME research but I'll leave some for you too! grin Or, you may know to begin with.)

I'll put you on the nominations summary page as "Swiftcurrent Pass Trail/Highline Trail, Glacier NP, Montana".

But I think it's important to note for interested folks in this hike -- my research showed MANY options and variations to what you did. For example, there's a 2 mile offshoot hike to the top of Swiftcurrent Mountain. One could simply go out and back on the Swiftcurrent Trail only. Or could also use the Highline Trail as an out and back. Or -- go one way on the Highline from Logan Pass, then take what is called the Loop Trail down to the road where a shuttle is available to go back to Logan Pass. (If I've inaccurately stated all this you're free to correct me.)

But in the spirit of having just one defined hike from many possibilities in this area, and honoring the intent of the nominator, I'll list the hike as I described above, which seems to be exactly what you did.

Glacier National Park is one of 15 of the national parks within the 48 states I haven't visited yet (I've been to the other 31). Your hike nomination and my subsequent research whetted my appetite!

You have a good idea about visiting this board more often.

Whitney Fan #29196 11/19/12 01:17 PM
R
R
Your description of the hike is exactly what I meant.
A rather long hike, yes, but one that let you see a great variety of landscape (and wildlife according to my experience).

It is true that the start and end TH are not the same, however there are shuttle services available to connect the 2 trailheads during summer time in the park.
The easiest way to go is to park at the St Mary visitor center (east side) and take the private 10$/person shuttle to go to the Many Glacier trailhead in the morning (East side shuttle, only a few shuttles per day: http://www.glacierparkinc.com/images/_userfiles/files/Shuttle%20Brochure_lowres.pdf).
At the end of the hike at Logan Pass, you will be able to use the free shuttle service of the park to go back to your car (several shuttles per hour : http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm).

I hope it might help, Glacier is a really beautiful park.

Whitney Fan #29202 11/20/12 05:09 PM
Lots of Mt. Whitneys in California? A quick attempt Googling didn't show anything like that quickly (although more intensive research might). But -- if you already know something about this please share it here for all of us to know! (ESPECIALLY since this IS the WHITNEY Zone.)

Mt Whitney California

SPOTMe!
saltydog #29204 11/20/12 05:30 PM
A couple of hikes that I think should be included:
- Agnew Meadows to Lake Ediza. Total distance approx. 14 miles roundtrip with elevation gain/loss:1495ft/1495ft

Shadow lake on the way to Lake Ediza

Shadow Lake, looking back

Lake Ediza

Couple of pictures of the hike back to Agnew Meadows

- Yosemite Falls Trailhead to Upper Yosemite Falls. Total distance approx. 7.2 miles round-trip with elevation gain/loss: 2,700ft

Sorry, on pictures from this hike.

While these two hikes are not as "epic" as some of the others, they are great hikes nonetheless.

John

John Sims #29221 11/22/12 02:32 AM
W
OP Offline
W
saltydog -- is this the only other Mt. Whitney in California to your knowledge? Perhaps I misconstrued your first post mentioning Whitney -- maybe you were only alerting to the fact that there was just another (one) Mt. Whitney in California rather than multiple ones?

John -- I wasn't familiar with your first nomination, not even knowing where it was. A litle Googling showed me that this is indeed a good nomination. And anything with "Yosemite" in it has GOT to be a good hike too!

The list of all nominated hikes (now 23 of them) has been updated . You -- with your two nominations -- command both the top and bottom of the list!

Whitney Fan #29241 11/25/12 08:23 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Here is what nyhiker said in a post on the other thread ("TTUSDHYMD NOMINATIONS SUMMARY"):

"How about Mount Haystack in the Adirondacks, NY?

Here is my recent trip report: My rationale is in the report!

http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php...amp;ski=Include"

This nomination is a good one. And only the second hike east of the Mississipi River thus far nominated.

I'm originally an upstate New Yorker, so have a fondness for the Adirondacks. Did a canoe trip through the Fulton Chain of Lakes there from Old Forge to Blue Mountain Lake, have climbed 6 peaks, driven to the top of Whiteface Mountain, seen Ausable Chasm, had a priest teach me how to play Blackjack in the summer camp he hosted for young fellows in his congregation.

There are now 24 nominated day hikes that you must do in the United States!

Whitney Fan #29255 11/28/12 07:08 AM
saltydog -- is this the only other Mt. Whitney in California to your knowledge? Perhaps I misconstrued your first post mentioning Whitney -- maybe you were only alerting to the fact that there was just another (one) Mt. Whitney in California rather than multiple ones?

Isn't one unusual enough to note?

SPOTMe!
saltydog #29263 11/29/12 01:05 AM
W
OP Offline
W
saltydog -- the posts just before your post about Mt. Whitney had been about mountain names with many claimants. So when you posted I (and others?) thought you were putting Whitney in that category too. (Not that our fave Whitney doesn't deserve some recognition for having only one "duplicate" too!)

Whitney Fan #29282 11/30/12 02:30 PM
That's what I thought: One Mt Whitney has gotta be worth a dozen or so Silver Lakes

SPOTMe!
saltydog #29525 01/01/13 08:03 PM
W
OP Offline
W
The month of December has taken everyone's interest (and probably deservingly so).

But . . . the responsiblity of the Whitney Zone to declare the Ten United States Day Hikes You Must Do (TUSDHYMD) continues!

Nominators . . . commence work!

Nominations to date .

Whitney Fan #29526 01/02/13 06:37 AM
The month of December has taken everyone's interest (and probably deservingly so).

But . . . the responsiblity of the Whitney Zone to declare the Ten United States Day Hikes You Must Do (TUSDHYMD) continues!

Nominators . . . commence work!

Nominations to date .

OK< here's my first nomination for the new year. Since it has to be in the US, it is by definition only technically available to those who live in the US, its territories and possessions (yes, folks we still have colonies) etc.

I call it the Home Loop/Paradox Hike. It can be an out and back, but the loop version is far more interesting and challenging. The route description is a little vague, I know, but the good thing about that is that there is no wrong route: you can plan it meticulously, make it up as you go along or any combination of the above.

Here's the trip: you are going somewhere you have never been before, by hanging around where you spend every day: Paradox Hike. Beginning at whatever you consider your front door, walk, for half the day. Then return to your door, preferably by a different route. That's it.

The hike begins and ends at your door. Don't drive anywhere, don't bike or take a bus, and if you are hiking with someone else, neither of you takes any other form of transportation: the route description applies to everyone in the party. Overnight guests are no exception: if they don't start from their home, they are not on the same hike you are. In fact, that can be another challenge variation: do this hike with someone else, who, in order to be doing the same hike, cannot start or finish with you. Paradox Hike.

You won't need a map, but take one out of habit and good practice. I will be amazed to learn that anyone can take this hike to somewhere zhe could get well and truly lost without one. In fact that could be a challenge: try to get lost within half a day's walk of your home. Nonetheless, you will see things, amazing things, you have never seen before. Paradox Hike.

The Ultimate Merit of the Trip: the less you know about this already, the more you MUST DO this hike.

Happy New Year

SPOTMe!
John Sims #29528 01/02/13 05:34 PM
Just posted a few pictures of Agnew Meadows to Lake Ediza hike in the picture Gallery. A bit out of order. The first picture is a panorama of Lake Ediza, and should follow the two pictures of Shadow Lake.
Steve, if you could add them to my post nominating these two hikes it would be appreciated. Is there a way for me to edit an old post? If so, I can go back and add.
Thanks,
John

John Sims #29533 01/02/13 09:55 PM
S
S
John S wrote:
> Is there a way for me to edit an old post?

Yes. You should be able to now.

Those are absolutely beautiful pictures. I've not made that hike, but have hiked the JMT past the trail to the lake. The views are similar to those at Thousand Island Lake and Garnet Lake. Thanks for posting them.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard